Antiseize It!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I fell into the last ditch!
Years ago a local fisherman brought an Oldsmobile in my shop with a knocking 231 V6. He was hoping I could do something on the cheap just to make it last till run season when he could buy a new(better)car. I told him I had an idea that I had never tried that may make it last a few months or kill it almost immediately. He said "carry on" so I got an 8oz can of antiseize and thinned it with motor oil to the point where it would pour. I poured it into the center of the oil filter and what was left over went in the crankcase with the rest of the 20w-50. Filling the center of the filter gave it a straight shot of antiseize through the engine on fire up. The rod shut up and he drove that POS for three years after that then sold it to another guy that gave it to his wife and she drove it two more years until it seized because she never checked the oil in it.

This 305 in my 91 is suffering from low oil pressure and smoking pretty good on cold start and when I goose it after idling a few minutes. I need to get a few more months out of this engine so I antiseized it a couple hours ago with a 20w-50 VR1 oil change. I let it idle until the temp came up then raised the revs to 1500. I was holding it at 1500 and after a minute or so the revs shot up to about 1900 and the engine smoothed out. Before I slimed it it had that loose sound at 2000+,that's gone now. Oil pressure is holding at 15psi at hot idle,before the gauge was dropping to 0.
I let off the throttle and let it idle for about 10 min. then goosed it,no more smoke. I may get a little increase in mpg,don't know,I've never done this to one of my own engines. I'll let y'all know!

I DO NOT recommend you do this to a good engine but if you need to limp one along for a little while this may be the fix for you. The antiseize I used was the Permatex 80078 copper,aluminum,graphite mix.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I think that was the point, the soft solids filled in where the normal solid material was missing and probably semi-welded itself in place with heat.

Probably not great for oil passages but if an engine is rod knocking or piston slappin already it's on its way out anyway.