If it were your truck ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well heres the story Shrk; The trans was just rebuilt before I got it and done with up graded parts (servos & bands) and so far it performs very nicely so I wont be getting rid of it just so I can say I got rid of it, ya know what I mean $$$$$ :confused: That would be crazy IMO. So Ill continue with it till something goes wrong and then decide what to do one way or the other.

I've been thinking about this today and just wanted to offer a different perspective as I've been in a similar state of mind before regarding transmissions. A fully functional beefed up 700R4/4L60E is worth something on the used market. A blown up beefed up 700R4/4L60E is worth about $50 as a core. Personally I would at least consider removing and selling your 700R4 while it still works and using those funds for a 4L80E swap. I wish so badly that I would've done exactly that before I blew up the built 4L60E in my red truck. Now I've got a 175LB chunk of metal sitting in my shop that's worth about $50, and it cost me $2600.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After taking it out today for about a 50 mile scenic tour it ran so good that Im leaning, no, belay that, Im going to leave it alone for now.
If and when I do something it will be a BBC as it should be, either rebuild this one or go crate.
Thanks for all of your guys input, even the smart alec ones

I think that's a good choice. Some of these options sound great and it's good for bragging rights at the bar but unless you can hook it, It's nothing more then a d*ck swinging contest.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
After taking it out today for about a 50 mile scenic tour it ran so good that Im leaning, no, belay that, Im going to leave it alone for now.
If and when I do something it will be a BBC as it should be, either rebuild this one or go crate.
Thanks for all of your guys input, even the smart alec ones
The 5.7 in my 97 has 235k miles on it, and runs great. I toyed with the idea of yanking the engine over the winter for a rebuild/upgrade when I pulled the trans for a rebuild. I just couldn't justify pulling out a great running engine.

Sounds like you made a wise choice.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 5.7 in my 97 has 235k miles on it, and runs great. I toyed with the idea of yanking the engine over the winter for a rebuild/upgrade when I pulled the trans for a rebuild. I just couldn't justify pulling out a great running engine.

Sounds like you made a wise choice.

Thanks, after thinking about it, it doesn't make sense monetarily because lets face it, if I do a motor one way or the other it will make this a truck that would have to bring about $35K to recoup investment, not that its not doable but the market shrinks a bit over $30K, whereas if I just do the rear disc thing like I am, it keeps this truck at about a $25K figure. I know you shouldn't/don't think of it that way supposedly but it wil be sold someday so I do think about it. Its a pretty nice damn truck so at my age Im thinkin Ill keep it till the light go out, just being real
bobby

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, after thinking about it, it doesn't make sense monetarily because lets face it, if I do a motor one way or the other it will make this a truck that would have to bring about $35K to recoup investment, not that its not doable but the market shrinks a bit over $30K, whereas if I just do the rear disc thing like I am, it keeps this truck at about a $25K figure. I know you shouldn't/don't think of it that way supposedly but it wil be sold someday so I do think about it. Its a pretty nice damn truck so at my age Im thinkin Ill keep it till the light go out, just being real
bobby
Never say never, you might spot something else that catches your fancy.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
bobby
Here is some info on the 90s SS 454 Silverados. And a 90 for sale for $13000. In 1990, the only color the SS 454 came in was onyx black. http://www.chevytruckworld.com/ew/forums/topic.asp?id=66518&pos=2
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A motor rend video for the 1990 ss 454.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were mine....

I’d leave it as is, and take up a strict Ramen diet. Once I’ve saved enough pennies, I’d write the General a big ass check for a RamJet 502, 4L85E, and some Stainless Works 8.1L long tubes.

That’s one beautiful truck you’ve got there, btw.