I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a customer get all nutted up panty twisted because we were pulling the stock 307 out of a Camaro Berlinetta and throwing it in the scrap.
And it wasnt his car.
Mind yer own damn business chucklehead.
I would never wagon wheel a 68 cutlass.
That isnt my thing.
But I do understand the ******* money and work that it takes to do that.
Every modified car has somebody behind it who tried and spent some money and busted some knuckles doing it.
There are car people and there are posers.
Some people have turned the wrench and some people pay someone else to turn the wrench.
None of which excuses you for making your wife sit in a lawn chair while you go butt snuggle all of the other car guys.
Its a ******* car
Yes, you may get some interest from your car.
But you need to have a lot more depth than that.
A car doesnt make you a man.
Yup. Lemons racing has a lot of detractors who get upset when they see their favorite kind of car get butchered and put on track. If you aren't going to buy it and save it, don't whine when a team cages it and hits the track. We're out there doing $#!+.

When it comes to lifts or lowering, I certainly have my desires, but I also have to temper that with practicality. My Mustang's lowered about 1.5" all around. It looks sweet, but I did it because I autocross it. The downside is when I have to change the oil I have to pull up on the fender to get a jack under the side to jack it up enough to get the small jack under the front end so I can get it up on stands. It's a royal PITA. But it also hustles the cones a lot faster than a stick axle has a right to.

WCJr will never get lowered because I like being able to slide under it to do work. Still, the custom trans crossmember I welded up limits my ability to crawl under it. Maybe some day I'll re-work it to raise the crossmember back up under the frame.

My Jeep had a little body lift so that it could clear 32s. I'm a fan of using as little lift as necessary to clear the tires so that it doesn't get tippy.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There's 2 things I can't wrap my head around ...

Squatted trucks and extreme negative camber.
On my other forum, most members there cannot even look at squatted trucks. It is a completely useless look done by idiots and while I hate the government in any of my business, they should be outlawed off the road.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's 2 things I can't wrap my head around ...

Squatted trucks and extreme negative camber.

Whenever I see a car prepped for the track, I always look for subtle camber changes where
you can see better handling in the corners is a priority over tire life.

But when style trumps functionality I get left behind wondering why?

And of course when the 'some is good, more is gooder' mindset gets involved,
there's some ridonkulous stuff out there. Almost so bad it's good again?

I'm with you. I can't wrap my head around the attached...

Attachments

• extreme camber why.jpg
    extreme camber why.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see a car prepped for the track, I always look for subtle camber changes where
you can see better handling in the corners is a priority over tire life.

The proper amount of negative camber greatly extends tire life on track. When I first started getting somewhat good on the track I started wearing the outside edge of the tires to the cords and the rest of the tire was fine. I probably killed 3-4 sets of front tires like that. Finally, I had an instructor tell me I needed a lot more negative camber.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The proper amount of negative camber greatly extends tire life on track. When I first started getting somewhat good on the track I started wearing the outside edge of the tires to the cords and the rest of the tire was fine. I probably killed 3-4 sets of front tires like that. Finally, I had an instructor tell me I needed a lot more negative camber.

Absolutely. My earlier comments were for the street/track cars, where the tires are optimized for
the 5% of the time that it's on the track, and the remaining 95% of the time it's the DD?

What some people don't realize is that there's a dynamic component to camber, especially when
between the static setting + compliant bushings + undersized anti-roll bars (like they used to
do back in the '60s) you end up with too much load/tire wear on the outside of the front tire?
(See attached. -- And if you go to this article on the Bangshift.com website you can watch a car
review video of a '69 Impala with a 396-2bbl being flogged around a test track. ('69 Impala review)

For a long stretch of time, after every single car I bought I would immediately start scouring the
yards for HD or police pursuit suspension bits in order to make the vehicle handle a bit more to my liking.
It wasn't until relatively recently that you could buy a used car, drive it, and think "Hey, this
might be good enough as is?"

Fun stuff. We've come a long way from when all the car magazines were full of photos of
cars running through the corners while scrubbing away the whitewalls. :0)

Attachments

• Extreme dynamic camber (Get That Lean Going The Brutal Test Of The 1969 Chevrolet Impala 396! ...jpg
    Extreme dynamic camber (Get That Lean Going The Brutal Test Of The 1969 Chevrolet Impala 396! ...jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a thing around here for guys to drop the rear of their trucks so the bumper almost drags and raise the nose in the air,they call it bull *******. There is no way they can see over the hood.
Then they chop the exhaust right behind the manifolds and run annoyingly loud straight pipes all the way back. I call it redneck mating call. Makes a jake brake sound pleasant.
d-o-g-g-i-n-g is sensored? Are you kidding?