I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

l1lartur0

Reaction score
It's a thing around here for guys to drop the rear of their trucks so the bumper almost drags and raise the nose in the air,they call it bull *******. There is no way they can see over the hood.
Then they chop the exhaust right behind the manifolds and run annoyingly loud straight pipes all the way back. I call it redneck mating call. Makes a jake brake sound pleasant.
d-o-g-g-i-n-g is sensored? Are you kidding?
Is that also known as the Carolina squat? Thoughts of a dog scooting its toosh on the floor comes to mind...

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because the rest of my life contains compromises... I think Boar's Head has an ad campaign out now that says "Compromise Elsewhere"... same thing here.

I don't consider staying true to the original design to be a compromise though... it's probably even harder than doing some customizing here and there.

As said, everybody's itch is different, and is to be individually respected and celebrated. That's what makes this whole scene so cool, especially during these perverse times of forced compliance and conformity. I really hope this resource survives long term, especially for those that aren't even here yet.

As for me, I've got 4 400's, each with a different role to play, and itch to be scratched. I'm still lovin' on these things exclusively, 35 years after buying my first one. I hope my health holds out to get these guys completed and worthy enough to share with everyone. That's the plan anyway.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that our trucks reflect their owners. We build what gives us good vibes and makes us feel good when we drive around in them. That's why there are so many different builds as there are different owners. It's kind of like the music we each listen to, it just hits that spot. If I wanted a vehicle that would get me from A to B with no hassle then I would definitely leave it near stock but I wouldn't say I got the enjoyment out of driving it that I do my truck. I have the same appreciation when seeing a meticulously restored classic as I do a show winning custom because both owners achieved what they set out to do.

This is right.

But remember - this also correct when it comes time to sell. When you modify to your individual tastes, no one should be surprised when there is not a long line of people wanting to pay what was spent to heavily modify a stock truck. Works both ways. Get a chuckle out the for sale ads proclaiming how much was spent to modify the truck...most buyers will not care and won't cover the investment.

Stock-ish for me - but that's how I roll at this age. I love a well-cared-for unmolested truck, like the ones in my sig.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see a car prepped for the track, I always look for subtle camber changes where
you can see better handling in the corners is a priority over tire life.

But when style trumps functionality I get left behind wondering why?

And of course when the some is good, more is gooder mindset gets involved,
there's some ridonkulous stuff out there. Almost so bad it's good again?

I'm with you. I can't wrap my head around the attached...
I read an article years ago about unusually car modifications and the car in this picture was explained. Apparently, where they do this you are not allowed to extend the factory guards and the top of the tire has to be within the factory guards so they avoided that law by laying the wheels over so far that the top is still within the guard so therefore legal. I hate to think of how often they have to change the CV joints.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is right.

But remember - this also correct when it comes time to sell. When you modify to your individual tastes, no one should be surprised when there is not a long line of people wanting to pay what was spent to heavily modify a stock truck. Works both ways. Get a chuckle out the for sale ads proclaiming how much was spent to modify the truck...most buyers will not care and won't cover the investment.

Stock-ish for me - but that's how I roll at this age. I love a well-cared-for unmolested truck, like the ones in my sig.
I completely agree, I wouldn't have done any modifications if I had any intention to sell it at anytime for the reasons you mentioned. But my truck is a keeper and therefore the money I spend on it will returned to me through longevity as it keeps getting newer with every new part fitted.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with thins mods are all fine and good as long as they can be undone any change you can not undo I am against
Why would I want to undo what I spent time, effort, and money doing? If I go to sell it either A) someone will want it or B) nobody will. Either way, I'm not undoing a damn thing, I did whatever I did for me not anyone else.
To each their own.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is right.

What are these things you speak of, "sell" and "stock(ish)"?
I've heard of such things but never seen them in person... lololol

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to modify you have to go all the way to keep or increase the value. I'm not into lowered trucks with 20" wheels but I can appreciate one that is tastefully done and they do bring good money.