I need mental help!!! What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maddmatt

Reaction score
I agree with regarding a swap. Lots of money and lots of time. I like to learn from other people mistakes. Instead of the hard way. That is why I posted this question. I decided to put a shift kit in the 700r4 ($200) and do a slightly upgraded 350 keeping the tbi with cruise. I know its boring!! Thanks for your personal thoughts. Enjoyed them all. Any buddy need a Ly6 and 4 l80e??? You can drive it home. I'm in Mercer Wisconsin.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's a keeper, my vote's for swapping in the van's LS --- freshen-up/touch-up that 6.0L LY6 along w/ its 4L80E --- buy the proper ECU/PCM/ harnesses & fuel pump --- Instantly very reliable & 360+ hp.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I need your opinions. I have a beautiful 1989 GMC 1500 all lowered, painted and a cool interior but it still has stock power. 305 tbi only 99k original miles, 700r4 TV cable model, 2 piece driveshaft, 10 bolt 3:73 posi rear end. I would like more horsepower!!! I have a good running Chevy express 3500 with a ly6 4l80 combo with 144k which could be installed with alot of work. I have up to $7500 to spend but want to make this journey simple and fun with a finished truck that's reliable and enjoyable. Not a wrenching nightmare! I just want to lay some posi!!. I really don't have any access to a ls tuner guy or motor builder. Not close at least. I'm a good wrench though. What would you guys do????? Upgraded 350 Tbi crate motor (easy install and get to keep all gauges and cruise) , 383 crate motor (more work but not to much more. Will lose some options) or freshen up the Ly6/4l80. Lots of work and power. Or just leave the truck stock and cruise it!!
I also have a 305 that works fine but is not exciting. Based on feedback i received here, budget, etc, i bought a beatup 89 2500 w a 350 and 700r4 (driving and shifting well). Already paying me back as it has provided ws wiper motor for my truck. Will be yanking engine and tranny and reworking planning on going 383 possibly w aftermarket fi to attempt to side srep the tuning learning curve . We shall see. Good luck w yours thats a nice truck

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's a keeper, my vote's for swapping in the van's LS --- freshen-up/touch-up that 6.0L LY6 along w/ its 4L80E --- buy the proper ECU/PCM/ harnesses & fuel pump --- Instantly very reliable & 360+ hp.
Huh, I didn't realize that newer "work truck" style 6.0 was 360+.. that's better than an LQ9.

I'll just throw this in there, along with that engine/trans combo, don't forget the rear end upgrade that you'll absolutely need if you have too much fun on the loud pedal. I know I said it before, just don't forget to include that in your budget. 9.5" 14 bolt SF.

Richard