I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you are lifting your truck to clear tires and are going off road/show the truck at events, I understand. If you are lowering the truck to show at events, I understand.

But otherwise, why do you lift or lower a perfectly good truck and stress the components that get out of factory spec? It is your truck, do whatever the hell you want, it is your money. I really like the stock/strong/cream puff look that shows the care put in to the truck. Open the hood and is not filthy. Starts like it should. Idles like it should. Accelerates like it should. Handles like it should. Heats like it should. Cools like it should. Brakes like it should. Does what a truck should. Hell, just that alone is enough cost on an older truck.

Tell me where I am off base. No need to get obstinate, just tell me WHY..... Personal preference, I can understand, I can. But other wise, clue me in.

I gotta be up front here though. I have had a 1973 Blazer, one ton axles-front and rear-14 bolt full float and Dana 60 with 4.88 gears and Detroit lockers in both. Full roll cage. 400 CSB, all aluminum radiator with switch activated fans. Carbed with special float set up for severe angles. Gusseted frame and bracing. Line locks on both ends brakes. Hydraulic ram steering. 6" of lift with 38" Bogger tires. You name it, I likely had it on that truck. I had a Warn fiber rope 12k lb. winch that was set up to pull at front or rear and had a bag of snatch blocks and shackles and straps. I even had an onboard air compressor. I have been all over Tilamook Forest with it, here in Oregon and went to Rubicon for trails and rock crawling. I was told by a local, that my full size rig was the 3rd ever to make it to the top of Potato Salad Hill. But again, that was purpose built and not legal on the street.

Last edited:

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
Personally I kept my c3500 stock because it’s like a time capsule from ‘89 and that’s really cool! But my ‘91 is lifted, stroked, cut on, no AC, rolls on mud tires to Costco and has terrible aftermarket lighting. Why? Because it’s eeffin cool man. There’s no right or wrong with your ride, restored-full blown custom. It’s all about what gives you that grin or that special memory. That’s the reason for any of it in my opinion.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that our trucks reflect their owners. We build what gives us good vibes and makes us feel good when we drive around in them. That's why there are so many different builds as there are different owners. It's kind of like the music we each listen to, it just hits that spot. If I wanted a vehicle that would get me from A to B with no hassle then I would definitely leave it near stock but I wouldn't say I got the enjoyment out of driving it that I do my truck. I have the same appreciation when seeing a meticulously restored classic as I do a show winning custom because both owners achieved what they set out to do.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that our trucks reflect their owners. We build what gives us good vibes and makes us feel good when we drive around in them. That's why there are so many different builds as there are different owners. It's kind of like the music we each listen to, it just hits that spot. If I wanted a vehicle that would get me from A to B with no hassle then I would definitely leave it near stock but I wouldn't say I got the enjoyment out of driving it that I do my truck. I have the same appreciation when seeing a meticulously restored classic as I do a show winning custom because both owners achieved what they set out to do.
Nailed it.

I already had my truck lowered in my head before I even bought it. Saw it Sunday, bought it Monday. The goal is for it to be daily driven. I am so close.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If we have to explain it....you wouldn't understand!!!! Lol
But in all seriousness, I think @GrimsterGMC got it right, just an extension of who we are, or want to be. I seen my first lowered OBS on the cover of a magazine in 88/89is and was HOOKED! Just something about the look just made sense to me.
I bought mine in 96. Was a daily driver until 2003, I knew one day it would get lowered, didn't think it would take 27ish years!!! But I would have never done it if it was my daily. I live in northern Alberta, it would not have been remotely practical for 6-8 months of the year.
But now I have 2 other trucks that are 4x4 for that. One has a 2" lift, and it just makes it look right to me. The other will get 6-8" lift at some point, mostly for looks, but it will get used for going hunting/shooting on family land that is sometimes really a bugger to access without that extra clearance.
But if my woman ever asks.....it's strictly for going hunting, nothing to do with making it look badass and intimidating Tesla's!!!! Lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mods don't have to ruin a vehicle. You can halfass it and ruin a truck, or you can take mods too far and ruin it as a daily, or you can put a little extra TLC into getting the best of both worlds. Sometimes it's a compromise no matter what and at that point it's a matter of your own personal goals. When it comes to that, to each their own.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I echo all of the replies above. Vehicles are an extension of our personality and I enjoy having unique vehicles and modifying them.

I laughed recently when I read a 10+ page thread on here about a fellow who wanted a 2wd 400 but could only find a nice 4x4 so he bought it. He then proceeded to lower it, raise it, and put it back to stock a few times. He enjoyed the process obviously and it was fun to watch.

I’m not into hard core off roading however my two daily drivers are on 35s with 6” lifts. Although being that is snows 7 months a year here they are handy for making the best of those long winters. I can drive in and out of ditches if needed, pull out unfortunate cars and trucks, and drive to remote camping locations that a stock vehicle couldn’t get to. I’m not into mud bogging or rock crawling but I still make use of my lifted trucks. I’m gentle to them when off road and I grab cv joints at the treasure yard for spares lol!

My 2012 made me a fortune as my mobile office and transportation as a Safety consultant building pipelines, and my 05 before that. I’ve never had a truck payment but these lifted rigs paid for my house. Just because I don’t have $30,000 in off road specific mods doesn’t mean it doesn’t serve a purpose. Well maintained I haven’t had an issue with my trucks wearing out parts too quick just drive responsibility, keep your momentum up, and avoid any tire hopping situations.

For the lowered trucks I get it! Lowered Center of gravity, better handling, unique look. Personally I like them either lifted 3-6” or lowered 3-6”. Stock height is just so blah lol. Heck I would even lower my 92 4x4 a bit (yes I need to adjust my headlights before I drive it). Why not lower it a bit, it will never be driven off road. I wanted 4x4 for year round use but it could still be winter driven lowered a few inches. Plus once it’s turbocharged I will likely need to lower it a bit to save the CV joints some of the stress from hooking on pavement. This guy runs 5 inch drop on the front and was using stock t bars with flipped over keys until he recently converted to coil over. He explains that he keeps his cv joints alive on boosted hits by having them flat or slightly up hill to the diff.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But then you can laugh at my 70 Skylark that’s lowered a bit in the front and raised in the back, each to thier own.

Attachments

• IMG_3913.jpeg
    IMG_3913.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2323.jpeg
    IMG_2323.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2316.jpeg
    IMG_2316.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So many of the questions about lowered and lifted trucks here are from newer members and that, to me, means that there mechanical aptitude could be suspect and training/tools could be lacking. Then the lift/lower gets rushed and cobbled. Not all the time but a good portion of the time and then the damage can occur. A lot of thought and investigation goes in to a design by the manufacturer to make the parts on a truck last. IMO, when that geometry gets altered, the stress factor is increased. Again, IMO only.

I have read here and at my other Tahoe/Yukon Forum about members cutting holes for fuel pump access. That makes me cringe. The structural integrity of the vehicle is altered and then can be unsafe. If the owner does that, it is on them but their passengers could be effected by that, just like a lifted/lowered vehicle, and that to me is suspect. As I have gotten older, 71 now, and having seen in the shops I ran, vehicles with very unsafe alterations, I cringe on the road when they are close around, especially at speed. Worrying too much, maybe, but as I age, I think about those things. It should not be a law thing at all. I want the government to keep their minds and d*i*c*k skinners away from you and me. I also want repairs and maintenance and alterations done right.

Last edited: