I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Sometimes I think, what if I lifted my truck and put some great looking rims and tires on it? That would look cool! Then I realize I'm a 55 YO, white male and I'd probably look a little goofy trying to be like the HS kids I teach. So, I'll stay conservative and keep everything stock. That's not because a lifted truck doesn't look great, it's simply because those years are behind me. As @GrimsterGMC said, it's really about what makes us feel good. I get plenty of looks and questions about my OEM setup (and yes, it feels good to be acknowledged that keeping it that way is OK too).

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes I think, what if I lifted my truck and put some great looking rims and tires on it? That would look cool! Then I realize I'm a 55 YO, white male and I'd probably look a little goofy trying to be like the HS kids I teach. So, I'll stay conservative and keep everything stock. That's not because a lifted truck doesn't look great, it's simply because those years are behind me. As @GrimsterGMC said, it's really about what makes us feel good. I get plenty of looks and questions about my OEM setup (and yes, it feels good to be acknowledged that keeping it that way is OK too).
You can only be young once....but you can be immature forever!!!!
I'm 48 and just dropped my truck in September.
Can't wait to roll it out in the spring and show the kids how it's done.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vehicles are function first for me. I try to buy what I think suits my needs the best in stock form, and then if it doesn't I'll modify it to make it more to my liking or get rid of it if I can't get it to do what I want it to do. Of course I was actually drunk when I agreed to buy my ECSB, but I do like it still.

Fortunately for me, stock ride height is working out on all my current rides. I've lowered my sporting cars of times past for better handling. It did increase the mechanical grip limit, but with fixed rate springs and no height adjustment, you end up with what you end up with and I didn't like the knife-edge limit of grip before I spun out. It was fun to play around with though, and also did look extremely cool. Making shock adjustments is very Gran Turismo and I'm about it.

Haven't lifted a 4x4 yet. If I encounter a situation where I need to, I will.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Older 'n you and just dropped a C3500 dually. What was the sense in that? Z E R O

Richard
Doesn't have to make sense to anyone but the person you see in the mirror as you brush your teeth!!
Woman has definitely questioned my build direction. But then I question her custom bowling balls..... conversation over! Lol

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can only be young once....but you can be immature forever!!!!
I'm 48
I lowered my first vehicle within a week of buying it.
A '72 Mazda 808 in '76.
Probably 35 of the 50 some-odd vehicles I've had since have had an altitude adjustment.
More'n a few Impalas, couple of full-size '60's Pontiacs, S-10's, square body Chevy trucks, an El Camino.
Wanted to lower the K-car but FWD, so...no.
My '98's been @ 4/7 since '04.
I'm (*cough*) 65 and the truck's going lower.

OEM = Built to the lowest common denominator.
I may be low, but I ain't common.
As far as d0mination goes, I claim ignorance, but the ex was this skinny little red-head. Think what you will.

...oh. uhmmm...wait a minute...
That was De-nom-in-a-tion! Jeez.
Stupid brain. Please disregard that last comment
#oldfartdisease 1/2 blind & damn near deaf. Memory?
Caused by driving at diesel truck exhaust height all these years? Maybe.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds similar to the thought process I went through. Except that I'm self-diagnosed
as suffering from arrested development when it comes to vehicles...as if I'm mentally
stuck at ~18 years old? In person I'm kinda quiet, listen carefully, and wait my turn to speak,
but inside there is a streak of adrenaline junkie that just refuses to dissipate? :0)

Maybe these personality traits are what make a good sleeper so attractive to me? Riding around
in a malaise-era sporty car that visually promises 200+ but only delivers a wheezy 85 is
embarrassing, especially when everyone knows the truth. Overpromise, yet Underdeliver.
(See attached.)

On the other hand, a slow-looking vehicle that Underpromises but Overdelivers is my
cup of tea. Finding myself in a race against the actuarial tables, it's my hope that
at some point the chore truck will be faster than it looks. If it's quick enough to
make others laugh while watching it, then I will be a very happy man.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No promises, especially in public. But I am trying to come up to speed on where
the chore truck has undeveloped potential and how do I best take advantage of this?

By the way, I'm not hating on C3 'vettes, far from it. But if I was given a mid-'70s one I'd put
the numbers-matching engine under a glass coffee table as a conversation starter/proof
of my good taste in Interior Decor, and substitute a Lingenfelter-esque 406/manual in it's place.
Not the fastest, maybe, but still plenty of smiles per gallon.

Toodles --

Attachments

• '75 165hp lowest horsepower corvette.jpg
    '75 165hp lowest horsepower corvette.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 9

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When lowered or lifted the correct way it will never stress the truck.

My lowered truck still puts in work, I’m hooked up to my 20ft car hauler on a regular basis with a rock crawler, drag truck, or steel. It has helper bags, rides great doesn’t squat and looks cool doing it.

My lowered suburban, it puts in work hauling around my family on nice days and to shows, it has helper bags and also pulls trailers

Ahhh my lowered dually pulled my loaded enclosed race hauler to races, that was its job…

No different from a lowered 18wheeler running down the hwy.

I do it because I want to…

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe I should fess up a bit. I own a 2005 Tahoe Z71. I like the stock height but I too like performance. I reached out to Black Bear Performance, at my other forum, and they did a tune and now the engine woke up and transmission shift points did too. I then installed Hellwig Performance sway bar kits, front and rear. To this day, my truck looks completely stock but really surprises other performance vehicles around here, like Chargers, Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs, when we are both trying to get the jump from a light but especially when we enter a tight cloverleaf or corner and "first in/first out" wins. Along with the complete GM only steering and suspension rebuild, this 05 GMT800 is just what I like. Stock looking but ready to go at any time.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always wanted a slammed truck, the first time I saw one. Now I'm at the point in my life where I could actually afford to do it. Not just financially, but knowing it's not a practical daily driver where I am year round. So having the other trucks available made it easier.

I mostly listened to my mom when she said get all your toys before you get married. So big tvs,stereos, guitars and guns were there before I got married. Part of the package I guess, just like her having 2 kids prior to ours. I have literal bins of truck magazines I have heald onto and moved with me wherever I went. So woman always knew the day would come when the truck gets built.
I have instructed the boy, now 23, to do the same. So he has his truck he's working on, and is amassing a armory in my basement that I only wish his mom would let me spend that kind of money on.

Long ramble short.... finally at the age and somewhat financial place to have the toys I wanted in highschool.
Not always practical, that's why it's a toy now.