How many LS swappers are rebuilding their engines before Installing them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I am wondering how many of you have or are rebuilding your LS engines before swapping them in? And if not, why?

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 5.3 only had 67k on it when i bought it. i had the heads pressure tested and decked and valve job. replaced all gaskets and sensors from the heads up. i did notice that i have a little oil leak near the starter. i'm thinking now i should have done the oil pan gasket before i stuck it in the truck. Oh well.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of all the swaps I have seen done on the interwebs very few of them included rebuilding the LS motor. When I did mine the heads got P&P and rebuilt but the bottom end stayed untouched.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
With the close tolerances and sterile assembly areas at the factory, do you really think you are going to rebuild a fairly low mileage motor and improve anything?

espacef1fan

Reaction score
I'm going to check the bearings on mine. Only because I am dropping the pan to check the tooth count on my reluctor wheel

craig98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine only has 70k miles on. All I did was swap oil pans to a f body pan. And threw it in. I wasn't really to worries about this motor as I have another 5.3 I'm building for it.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you consider "fairly low mileage"? Anything under 100k, 200k? I know these engines can go 200k+ but most of the engines around here around the 150k range. If I do the swap, I only want to do it once.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
My LQ9 had 85k on it. But I basically re gasketed the whole thing because I swapped the cam, put my 243 heads on it, and had to change oil pans.

And I changed the oil pump.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you consider "fairly low mileage"? Anything under 100k, 200k? I know these engines can go 200k+ but most of the engines around here around the 150k range. If I do the swap, I only want to do it once.

Of the others that have answered so far, the most they had was 85k miles, and I consider that fairly low mileage. I'd look for a motor under 100k.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
If I could find one with under 100k miles I wouldn't think twice about rebuilding it. I've found a L33 with 111,000 miles and thats the lowest I have found so far unless I jump to a LMG out of a 2010 but not sure what makes them different.