Socal LS Swap -Smog legal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Planning on doing a LQ or 5.3 swap to my Sierra and wondering how much of a PIA its going to be to do it legally here in Socal?
I am considering purchasing a complete donor if I can make space for another vehicle
From my understanding I will need engine, trans, harness, computer, maniforlds & cats & emission pumps. Anyone have pointers or information that might help me prep?

Vince

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Planning on doing a LQ or 5.3 swap to my Sierra and wondering how much of a PIA its going to be to do it legally here in Socal?
I am considering purchasing a complete donor if I can make space for another vehicle
From my understanding I will need engine, trans, harness, computer, maniforlds & cats & emission pumps. Anyone have pointers or information that might help me prep?

Vince
Call the SMOG referee and discuss with them. The new engine will need to be from the same class of vehicle from my understanding. So you can't put an engine from a 2500 into a 1500 and have them sign off on it. They will give you a whole list of things to consider and all of the things you will need to do along with steps to follow in order to get it done right. If you get the right donor vehicle it shouldn't be too bad.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might also look at the GM turn key kit they sell to install an LS engine. The downloadable install manual probably has good reference information.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/connect-cruise-powertrain-systems you might be able to find them on other sites but I do not know
Those are connect and cruise... not quite the same. The one he needs for what you are talking about is called the E-ROD kit and has it's own CARB E.O. number because it includes the completed computer, harness, and emissions system.

Where can I find the kit?
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19421057.html

This chevrolet dealer says they are far enough behind on filling orders that it could be a 4-6 month lead time.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lot more than what I thought lol
Looks like purchasing a complete vehicle and swapping over all emissions is the more cost effective route for my budget. I really want an LQ but a 5.3 might also work for my needs

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As said" turn key kit " might have helpful information. I didn't say it was his only answer. And didn't say it was what he needed. RTFA

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
As said" turn key kit " might have helpful information. I didn't say it was his only answer. And didn't say it was what he needed. RTFA
bingo we have a winner! that is why connect and cruise link it might have useful info I do not know about the e-rod stuff