How does the behingd the seat jack cover mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a SL, just a step above a W/T trim wise. Got tired of all my stuff sliding around behind the seat so I picked up the plastic jack cover/storage tray. It's red and my interior is tan, but behind the seat no one will see it.

So, how does this thing mount? The bottom plastic tray that holds the tire changing tools that came in my truck is pretty firmly anchored. I think I have to get that out to let the new jack cover sit flush. Does anyone have pics or a diagram that explains this?

I tried a search, but might not have used the correct words or terminology.

Thanks.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The high trim option found on Silverados incorporates an addition piece . My memory of it is foggy and the piece in question is buried in my garage along with the rest of the high trim package. (someday!) . I think the cover you found attaches to the long piece which on the higher end trucks extends all the way across the truck behind the seat. I do not remember how any of it attaches but most likely some Silverado owners can give you more info.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a cover or lid, and the long piece that goes across the length of the cab. Just doesn't want to sit flush. I will takes some pics and post them.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
on my '96 silverado scsb the body mounted try that is the width of the cab just mounts to the body with two bolts. One is the stud that extends all the way up for the cover. A regular bolt is on the driver side. With those out, the whole piece is loose and can be pulled out the doorway with the seat forward.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 90 Silverado with that piece, if it will help, I will take a look at mine to see if I can show you how it is mounted.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I understand how the two threaded rods work for holding it all in place. I am missing one the driver's side of the cab, but figure I can mount that, but a pic would be good of the drivers side all mounted.

I am wondering how the tire changing tools fit in or with the plastic box? There is a tray in mine, which seems to be glued down? seems like I need to pull that tray out to get the passenger side of the plastic tray all the way down.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I understand how the two threaded rods work for holding it all in place. I am missing one the driver's side of the cab, but figure I can mount that, but a pic would be good of the drivers side all mounted.

I am wondering how the tire changing tools fit in or with the plastic box? There is a tray in mine, which seems to be glued down? seems like I need to pull that tray out to get the passenger side of the plastic tray all the way down.

I think there is a bolt holding down that small tray . Not sure but seem to remember a bolt in the picture. I hope you develop a detailed plan of action for this as I sure would like to know the whole story.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, I'm figuring it out as I go. I will post what I learned. I know others have done this, but not finding a write up for it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my 88 C1500 Silverado the tray is 1 piece the whole width, the driver's side is open.

You must be registered for see images attach

The passenger side has a cover

The tray inside has slots for the tire iron and lug wrench etc. The scissor jack goes down on the long bolt that the wing nut holds the cover down with.

HTH

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PlayingwithTBI, thanks for the photos. I can be a little slow at times, and this must be one of them as I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can't get the package tray/jack cover I bought to sit down completely. I have the same pieces you have.

I wonder if the gray plastic slotted tool compartment is different on the trucks with the package tray/jack cover? I will have to take a picture and posted it to hopefully show my problem. It doesn't want to pull out, I think the threaded rod has something on it holding it down. And the tray/jack cover has a support brace with a hole through it for the threaded rod to slide into, but the shape of that support brace won't let it drop down enough to get the cover bottom edge flush with the cab floor.