Holley sniper on a 93 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnayy

Reaction score
Looking into getting a Holley sniper, the only information I can’t find is running a 4l60e. Some speak of using a stand alone but I read somewhere of someone wanting to splice. If I’m correct it requires the tps sensor? Any and all information is helpful!

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Sniper units are for engines only. They don't control transmissions.

You might be able to keep the stock PCM and just split the TPS signal.
The sniper units have tons of issues. Just fair warning.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But why? I'm sure there could be a valid reason for going from OEM 2 Barrel TBI with solid spare parts availability. To soon to be obsolete 4 Barrel aftermarket TBI. I can think of two. Bragging rights at the local car meet or a 350-450Hp build with "no tuning required".;)

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, a Sniper won't control your 4L60E. I have an '89 with a 4L60 (nee 700R4), and it runs fine. The TCC lockup works with the stock computer hanging around.

The sniper units have tons of issues. Just fair warning.
Most of the issues are people with existing issues switching to a Sniper thinking it will solve all their problems when they didn't do any diagnosis or solid work in the first place. They don't tolerate vacuum or exhaust leaks. On the plus side, the handheld gives you data stream for diagnosis.

But why? I'm sure there could be a valid reason for going from OEM 2 Barrel TBI with solid spare parts availability. To soon to be obsolete 4 Barrel aftermarket TBI.
The Sniper uses common parts. The TBI is the same as our trucks (I can't remember if it's flat plug or round plug). The wideband O2 sensor is from a Dodge truck. The IAC looks like the Vortec, but I'm not sure. I believe the fuel injectors are standard-style, but I haven't had my Sniper apart that far.

There are pitfalls. You absolutely need the throttle extension that Holley should have provided in the Sniper kit. Instead they ding you for another $16 for a fifty-cent steel stamping. Holley's TPS is chintzy garbage - I'm running a thirty-year-old factory GM part. My throttle blades were misadjusted and were hanging up until I reseated them. But what does it say that you can get a plug-and-play fuel injection system for right at a grand, plonk it on your engine, and it fires up and tunes itself? That's a steal, even in 1990 dollars.

Here's a link to where Holley sells refurbished Snipers for a couple hundred discount.

I'm sure there could be a valid reason ... Bragging rights at the local car meet or a 350-450Hp build.
This. If you have a stock motor, stick with the TBI. If you're to the point that you need a tune, it may be worthwhile to switch to a Sniper. I didn't want to invest in the tools to tune a TBI, so I went Sniper.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This. If you have a stock motor, stick with the TBI. If you're to the point that you need a tune, it may be worthwhile to switch to a Sniper. I didn't want to invest in the tools to tune a TBI, so I went Sniper.
I clarified my post while you where typing but you got my point anyways.:waytogo:

What I have seen posted on the Interwebs regarding the aftermarket low tier efi systems is mostly as you say installation related, but not entirely as some of them seem overly sensitive to electric interference. Others seem to have trouble working with dual plane intake manifolds. Also the Holley ECU's seem to go out ALOT more frequent, than GM Units. Thats the part I'm quite sure will be unobtainium in lets say 10 years. If Holley is still around then, (I think they will be) Hopefully their 2033 version of the Sniper ECU will work on the older stuff, and maybe all it takes is a $150 cable adapter :p But no one knows...

Johnayy

Reaction score
I am aware of the sniper not being able to control the transmission. And I was looking to have a a nice build with my 350. I’m interested in because of the bang for the buck. Alil cheaper and easier than a ls swap. Could also use an ls block and head with sniper. After crawling under m truck I notice it was not 4l60e. When first buying the truck I had a lot of problems that I had to square away. So now I need to figure out what’s going on with this. 4l60e was introduced to some trucks in 92 right and then the gmt400 in 93?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the issues are people with existing issues switching to a Sniper thinking it will solve all their problems when they didn't do any diagnosis or solid work in the first place. They don't tolerate vacuum or exhaust leaks. On the plus side, the handheld gives you data stream for diagnosis.

This is true. But after tuning about 400 sniper units i ended up just turning them down.
IAC issues
TPS issues
Sticking blades
Injector connectors coming loose
Injectors sticking open or closed
ECU's failing from heat exposure
Regulator issues
Oxygen Sensor heating issues

I converted a few over to Terminator X ECU's with port injection which wasnt cheap but they ran so much better.

Now i only mess with Terminator X and Dominator ECUs. Haven't had a failure out of any of them and much more capabilities.

I completed to the Holley training 6 day Gauntlet classes and its been said that the Sniper units are holleys biggest seller but the lowest quality. Who uses fuel injectors with no locks on the connectors? And they are extremely sensitive to RFI/EMI.