Has Anyone ever had a bad VSS, TPS, MAF, MAP cause a no 2-3 shift on 4l60e skips from 2nd to 4th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Particularly the 2-3 shift is off a trans fuse I didn’t know that ?
Review this article for details but if your transmission fuse blew, the transmission would be in limp mode which means you'd have only third and reverse when shifter is in D, D3 or 2nd gear and reverse if your shifter is in D2 (third gear achievable via manual upshift to D3 or D).

A bad 2-3 solenoid (stuck on) would translate into a no 2-3 upshift as well as no fourth gear either...Verify exactly what gears he has and what gears are 'missing'.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
The '80 uses a discrete clutch system where there's one shifting clutch pack for each gear in the automatic forward pattern strategy so skipping/neutral in 2nd would correctly be diagnosed as burnt intermediate clutch or intermediate OWC failure...The 4L60E uses two clutch packs and a band to execute that same strategy, so if his 2-4 band was excessively worn then he'd have slippage on the 1-2 shift, late-harsh 1-2 shifts, 2-3 downshift flares or slippage. Since he didn't report that, for now anyways, I'd work with the assumption the band itself is fine...If he pulls the plug on the trans and it moves forward, we can also reasonably assume the forward, 3-4 clutch pack and forward sprag are also fine.

He needs to rule out or fix any engine management sensor issues before doing anything with the transmission beyond the testing I described above.
Ah. I didn't know that. Good info.