High output alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I use a solenoid that keeps them separated when the key is off and it joins them once you turn the key on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I use a solenoid that keeps them separated when the key is off and it joins them once you turn the key on

You did say that, that makes sense then. I was thinking of using diodes if I decide to go dual battery and run after market accessories off of a deep cycle. Run diodes off of separate alternator charging leads keeping the two loads as separate as possible on a single alternator, has anybody had success with this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been told when you are running two batteries in sequence, they should be a matched set. I have my second battery running through a continuous duty solenoid so when the key is off, the two are separated, key on they are joined for charging purpose. I also have a small push button connected to the relay powered by the second battery in case the main battery is dead enough that it won't energize the relay to engage the second battery. I added that after I had that exact problem with the first battery dying. GM's biggest fault with these trucks was the pennies they saved using wiring that was too small to handle the loads that we like putting on them. Upgrading wire gauge is essential for the kind of performance I am expecting from my rig.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The diodes are meant keep them completely isolated so the problems that arise from not having a matched set *should* be eliminated. Can anybody confirm?

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been told when you are running two batteries in sequence, they should be a matched set. I have my second battery running through a continuous duty solenoid so when the key is off, the two are separated, key on they are joined for charging purpose. I also have a small push button connected to the relay powered by the second battery in case the main battery is dead enough that it won't energize the relay to engage the second battery. I added that after I had that exact problem with the first battery dying. GM's biggest fault with these trucks was the pennies they saved using wiring that was too small to handle the loads that we like putting on them. Upgrading wire gauge is essential for the kind of performance I am expecting from my rig.

I’ve been wanting to do that, how did you wire in the push button? I have switched I’m sure I could use one of those

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
Big three is a commonly used reference to upgrading stock wiring. Power wire from alternator to battery, power wire from battery to distribution box in engine, ground wire from engine block to ground, ground wire from body to ground, and for kicks you can also upgrade your ground from the alternator case to the negative battery terminal.

Thank you, RawbDidIt
Most helpful info.
I will start with the grounds.
When upgrading them do I want to take each one back directly to the battery negative side or do I run new chassis ground from the battery and then ground all others to the chassis?
Apologies if this is n odd questiion.
My experience wiring vacuum tube electronics has taught me that when wiring grounds the best method is the Star Ground (all grounds to a central point); and I wonder if that applies to automotive electrics as well
Best
Ed

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The diodes are meant keep them completely isolated so the problems that arise from not having a matched set *should* be eliminated. Can anybody confirm?

I’ve never heard of anybody trying to use diodes. I know where your going with it but it doesn’t quite work that way. Your best bet would be to use a solenoid to separate them like I have. You have to use a matched set. If you don’t you’ll burn up the batteries, either one or both. The alternator doesn’t know which battery needs charging it just senses that voltage is low so it starts sending power. If your batteries are different brands, different cca’s different types etc. it will continue to send power based on the draw. Different batteries have different charge rates so battery A charges pretty quick, while battery B takes longer, and because of that battery A gets constantly overcharged and goes bad. That’s the easiest way I can explain it. So always have matching age/type/brand/CCA batteries.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a very low amp push button. One side to the aux battery, the other to the hot side of the relay. It only takes a second to trigger the relay, then there is enough power in the loop to keep the relay closed under it's own power.