High output alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I've seen it. It's under another high output alternator info request that either went nowhere, or the OP didn't tell us what happened....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Robeard

Reaction score
Looks good. I got a “Tuff stuff” 8206ND 175Amp alternator from summit for my ‘99 5.7l powered Tahoe. But it was DOA. I did a warranty exchange and the second replacement is also DOA. I’ve never had such bad luck with an alternator replacement. While 150A isn’t that high it’s better than the 0A Tuff stuff. I’ll consider the power master for this upgrade once I work out the refund situation. Thanks for the post!

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 140 amp unit I got from Autozone would not fit. Same bolt pattern and plug connector but it was too big around to sit in the bracket properly.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the alternator I got from autozone, 145amp fit perfectly, just need the pigtail
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Did the NBS alt on my 98. Tested perfect at store but only put out bout 12 volts when running. Gonna get another for my 96 soon cuz I'm doin LS swap in 98 but I'll definitely do the big 3 or 5 upgrades in both as they have small stereos and hids with 4hi mods.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the NBS alt on my 98. Tested perfect at store but only put out bout 12 volts when running. Gonna get another for my 96 soon cuz I'm doin LS swap in 98 but I'll definitely do the big 3 or 5 upgrades in both as they have small stereos and hids with 4hi mods.
How are you testing the output voltage? Check with a multimeter from the positive of the alternator to the alternator case. You may have some gnarly voltage drop from the alternator to the gauge in the dash. If that's the case, then you'll need to upgrade your wiring from engine and body ground to battery negative, and power wire from alternator and power distribution box to positive battery. If you're still low, connect a wire from the sending connector in the pigtail to the distribution box feed. You can check coverage drop across each wire but if you're going to do the big three anyway, that should take out the voltage drop... well mostly anyway, there's always going to be a slight voltage drop across any wire.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tell me please!
What is the Big 3 Upgrade?
Big three is a commonly used reference to upgrading stock wiring. Power wire from alternator to battery, power wire from battery to distribution box in engine, ground wire from engine block to ground, ground wire from body to ground, and for kicks you can also upgrade your ground from the alternator case to the negative battery terminal.