Managed to up heater output.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did some grand foolery to the heater core and sealed up the air ducts better and upped its heat output exponentially. I went from 90 something to almost 120. But who knows if this thing is reading right. I know it gets hot enough to burn your ass out here.
You must be registered for see images attach

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not exactly sure looks like it's time for some new seals on the doors and **** and everything like that.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the condition of coolant? Done a good flush and fill including pressure flushing the heater core. It can mimic a settling pond, allowing crud, whatever the coolant moves to settle in heat exchanger, reducing flow preventing fan air getting enough heat.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Something's still wrong.

I'd expect 150+ at the vents, depending somewhat on ambient temp.

Maybe the infrared thermometer isn't calibrated for whatever you're pointing it at. "Emissivity" is the dirty secret of infrared thermometers.
Agreed on the temps, should be much warmer. After replacing the leaking core in my '93 and metal-foil-taping up the broken lower cover, I was getting readings of 140F+ and it was still climbing when I decided I was satisfied things were working well.

Richard

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah no broken covers except the dash pad. I took out those useless side window defrost vents they ain't worth a ****.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nah no broken covers except the dash pad. I took out those useless side window defrost vents they ain't worth a ****.
You try backflushing the heater core? The one big caution I can give here is be careful removing the hose that goes to the intake manifold as those quick-connect fittings are stupid easy to break if it's the original one, then you have a headache to deal with.

As I said, 140F+ and climbing, after replacing the leaking core on my '93. It was plenty hot at that point so I didn't bother to see how hot it could get.

Richard

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now this is sick right here. Drove down the interstate for about 15 miles or so. I decided to pull out the thermometer and this is what it read. I haven't tried it on Max yet but I don't think it's gonna get any hotter than this.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Now this is sick right here. Drove down the interstate for about 15 miles or so. I decided to pull out the thermometer and this is what it read. I haven't tried it on Max yet but I don't think it's gonna get any hotter than this.
Now see, that's the kind of numbers we would expect. :)

Richard