Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PLease if this is the wrong place to post this, I am sorry..... Please move to appropriate forum....

My kid is stuck at Menomonie Wisconsin, with a blown NV4500 transmission, Anyone out there help us we could use a transmission. Please let me know. truck is a 1994 GMC Sierra SLE Crewcab Long box Dually, 2 wheel drive, 6.5 Diesel. Any help ideas appreciated Thank You in advance
Its an 8-1/2 hour drive from here.
Bob,
Winnipeg Canada

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For 3K it better be a rebuilt transmission with a warranty. A good used one should run about 1K or so; it's been years so I'm sure prices have gone up but you used to be able to get a known good used NV4500 for under a K.

I just searched car-part dot com using 54571 for a zip code and saw more than a few available, the higher priced ones are indicated as rebuilts. Of course if his is literally blown to pieces then the core charge won't be refunded so that will be a factor too.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thank You to everyone for your help and answers. A buddy of mine is going down to get the truck and the kid.. I have always said the car community is THE Best!
Going to deal with the trans issue when they get back
When the transmission (4L60E) blew up in my '94 C2500LD, I was about 500 miles from my destination, had my Harley on a trailer behind it, and 2 cats inside the truck. I was moving from FL back to TX. Buddy came out with his Cummins Ram and a junk front bumper with a tow bar already bolted to it. While I was waiting for him to get there I popped my grille and nice painted front bumper off so when he arrived we could just bolt up the bumper, hook up the chains and go.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

You may have already figured this out but the direct-swap transmissions for that truck are going to be 1992-1994 2WD units. 1995 should fit too but has different gearing for 1st/reverse. 1996-up are a whole different animal with the integrated slave cylinder/release bearing setup. I guess they could be used too but I don't know if the new style hydraulic line is easy to connect to the old style master cylinder. Someone else here may have experience with that. When I used a '96 trans in my '94 3500HD I moved everything over including the master and that was a bear as the firewall setup is different.

Richard