I AM BRAND NEW and Desperately need HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually don't like the 6l, the first gear is way too low and it just creeps off the line, then it feels like it takes around a whole second to shift to second and actually go forward.

My point was that Gen V stuff is starting to become relatively cheap compared to a 6.0 not that the 6l is a great transmission.
My daily driver is a 2012 with L-96, 6 speed, 3.73 gears with 35s. It was a dog stock but after a sloppy stage 2 cam, Blackbear tune, long tube headers, cat delete, and dual 3” it’s a monster. The trans shifts perfectly, it never hunts since it’s been tuned properly. It’s a 8000 pound truck and I can image that combo in a lowered 2wd 4400 pound OBS.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, I go to a high end converter before the originals fail. And instead of a high $ rebuild I have a spare on the shelf. These are strong trans and the gearing is incredible.

I do respect and appreciate your teachings on the inner workings of these trans. For those on a budget the Th-400 is the best bet, 80E if it’s warranted… 60E if not beating on it. But for someone who doesn’t mind spending some $ the 6L is a better trans.
Having the extra two gears is nice, and for someone with the budget and preference for what it offers, I agree - it's a better fit than the 4L60Es for the reasons you mentioned. The 4L80Es vs 6L80: the valve prop is less clear to me for resto-mod swaps but then again, that's just me...

You mentioned something else in another post that's worth repeating - the 6Ls really want (need) a good performance tune to max out their potential. This is in contrast with prior transmissions where mechanical calibration was the best way to achieve crisper, faster (and firmer, if desired) shifts. Clutch to clutch transmissions are much more sophisticated and thus need a mix of mechanical and computer-based programming to perform at their best, especially in HD and HP applications but even daily drivers benefit immensely from a good tune.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having the extra two gears is nice, and for someone with the budget and preference for what it offers, I agree - it's a better fit than the 4L60Es for the reasons you mentioned. The 4L80Es vs 6L80: the valve prop is less clear to me for resto-mod swaps but then again, that's just me...

You mentioned something else in another post that's worth repeating - the 6Ls really want (need) a good performance tune to max out their potential. This is in contrast with prior transmissions where mechanical calibration was the best way to achieve crisper, faster (and firmer, if desired) shifts. Clutch to clutch transmissions are much more sophisticated and thus need a mix of mechanical and computer-based programming to perform at their best, especially in HD and HP applications but even daily drivers benefit immensely from a good tune.
Thank you,

Yes to prove your point I’ve had 4 60E trucks custom tuned over the years and they seemed to shift fine both before and after tuning. The tune removed the torque management and made for firmer shifts. I just got back from driving my 01 Yukon with the 60E and it’s shifting perfectly at 6500 rpm each time and the headers and true duals sang the song which I love.

The 6 speed trans were a different story. Before the tune they always seemed to hunt for gears or be in the wrong gear. After the tune they are as GM should have taken the time to program. And I know people at 700+ Hp on stock trans with just a converter upgrade. That being said GM knew they should have recalled the converters on most of the 6 speeds but it was too expensive so millions of trucks headed to the junkyard over that! I just scoop in for the L-96, as they are great!

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue finding 6.0 for low cost. I either buy a complete truck to part out or pull myself from someone parting out a truck.

For $1800 I got a 6.0 truck that was rear ended, once parted out it ended up costing me $600 for the engine.

Another time I found a guy parting out a Denali Yukon and he wanted $1200 for the engine and trans, I offered to go to his place and remove the engine and trans and he agreed to $800 with me doing the work. Sold the trans for $500 and had a $300 6.0.

Both engines I cleaned up, added a sloppy stage two eBay cam, gaskets, trunnion upgrade and paint then sold for a large profit.

Then using the profits I bought a $300 5.3, added forged rods and pistons, added a GT-45 turbo

So I do get your points, and you aren’t wrong there are many ways to reach the same goal. I’m currently on the lookout for the right L-96 6.0 and 6L trans deal, that’s a great combo especially with boost!
Oh okay, you're the guy that finds the magical deals that don't exist for anyone else. Got it.
I stand by what I said, dollar for dollar a 5.3/4.8 is a better option.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh okay, you're the guy that finds the magical deals that don't exist for anyone else. Got it.
I stand by what I said, dollar for dollar a 5.3/4.8 is a better option.
It’s not magical you just need to try harder lol. The 6.0 is the better deal, add cam and headers to it and walk all over the little brothers. I don’t care what you do you do to a 5.3 or 4.8 they are gutless from idle to 3500 RPM. Even with a turbo the 6.0 spools it quicker.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not magical you just need to try harder lol. The 6.0 is the better deal, add cam and headers to it and walk all over the little brothers.
Nope. For all the reasons I detailed earlier.
I don’t care what you do you do to a 5.3 or 4.8 they are gutless from idle to 3500 RPM.
This statement more than any other you've made shows your lack of experience and knowledge.
Even with a turbo the 6.0 spools it quicker.
Sure if you have an improperly sized turbo. If you know what you're doing then it's not an issue.

You are free to think (and say) whatever you want, doesn't make it true. I'ma step out of this side conversation now and let the thread get back on track. Have a good one.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. For all the reasons I detailed earlier.

This statement more than any other you've made shows your lack of experience and knowledge.

Sure if you have an improperly sized turbo. If you know what you're doing then it's not an issue.

You are free to think (and say) whatever you want, doesn't make it true. I'ma step out of this side conversation now and let the thread get back on track. Have a good one.
So getting a 4.8 or 5.3 for a few less $ makes it better?

You honestly think a 4.8 or 5.3 can match a 6.0 under 3500 RPM.

I’m not Mr SBC fanboy but I’m also not disillusioned enough to think a little 4.8 or 5.3 is out performing a 6.0 under 3500 RPM.

You are also free to say whatever you want but it doesn’t make it right.