What suspension/bushings/etc am I due for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. Thank you in advance.
I have a 1996 c1500 extended cab long bed I bought from the second owner a few years ago. Got her with about 105k miles, sitting just under 110k now. It’s a yard work/side work truck for me, and it does an amazing job at it.
I went under the truck the other day for the first time in a long time to look at something and was reminded she’s an old girl. Expected amount of surface rust and worn looking rubber pieces for her age.
Is there a one size fits all suspension overhaul/bushing kit you all would recommend? I don’t need top of the line by any means, but it would be nice to get some additional load capacity without sacrificing too much ride quality all while without breaking my piggy bank if at all possible Basically I want everything for nothing.
Any other maintenance not listed for its age/mileage you’d recommend? About all I’ve done in my 3 years and abouts 3000 miles of ownership is couple oil changes, coolant flush, radiator o-ring replacement where one failed, crankshaft positioning sensor, and added the $60 Leer. Also hunting for new interior pieces if anybody has anything local to PNW.
Advice/recommendations appreciated! Pics of list of stuff that previous owner did and photo of her good side for attention.

Attachments

• IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 5

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you redid your front brakes, maybe take a look at the rear brakes, pull the drum off, check how much shoe material is left.

You mentioned you replaced the driveline. Not sure if that included the rear end, but may be a fluid change.

Air filter and fuel filter, PCV valve

Take a look at the battery terminals and see if there's any corrosion, check as many grounds as you can, be sure they are making the best contact possible.

Check to see if your ball joints, tie rod, idler, or Pitman arm have grease fittings and if they do add some grease.

As far as the bushing kit, I went with energy suspension poly bushings. I've only done the rear leaf springs, but I will be doing the front upper and lower control arms when I get to that point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see you redid your front brakes, maybe take a look at the rear brakes, pull the drum off, check how much shoe material is left.

You mentioned you replaced the driveline. Not sure if that included the rear end, but may be a fluid change.

Air filter and fuel filter, PCV valve

Take a look at the battery terminals and see if there's any corrosion, check as many grounds as you can, be sure they are making the best contact possible.

Check to see if your ball joints, tie rod, idler, or Pitman arm have grease fittings and if they do add some grease.

As far as the bushing kit, I went with energy suspension poly bushings. I've only done the rear leaf springs, but I will be doing the front upper and lower control arms when I get to that point.
Thank you, I will explore all those options. I actually did see a couple gummed up zirk fittings in my quick look. Grabbed my grease gun before wife called me in for dinner.
Also saw some light fluid seepage from the rear diff so I assume previous owner did not rebuild that with driveline replacement. I’ll definitely flush that too

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's not a one-kit solution for the suspension, and if you're going in, you need to go in deep and do everything. Budget about a grand for a full-on front end rebuild if you need to replace the steering box as well.

Here's what I ended up putting on my stepside:
Control arm bushings - Prothane
Upper and lower ball joints - Mevotech
Inner and outer tie rod ends - Mevotech
Tie rod adjuster sleeves - Mevotech
Pitman and idler arm - whatever was on my shelf, but I'd go with Mevotech
Steering gear box - Redhead
Steering shaft - Jeep XJ steering shaft - later trucks CANNOT use this - use the Cunningham shaft instead
Shocks - Monroe
Sway bar end links and bushings - Energy Suspension

If your motor mounts are rotted, you'll definitely want to replace them while you're in there, because the only way to unbolt them is to remove the lower control arms.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Suspension work is one of those jobs that is big enough that you don't want to save money on parts. Cheap suspension parts don't last and you'll find yourself back in there way before you should be, and you won't like it one bit.

Richard

Reaction score
Fair enough to both. I can save more
Pennies and make it right. Buy once cry once. I more meant that I didn’t need some crazy aftermarket **** like I have on my 4Runner or WRX my wife and I drive daily. This is a work pig, I need functionality over form. This truck leaves my driveway couple times a month tops, sometimes just to keep the juices flowing. I appreciate the feedback/advice

Reaction score
That said I do want to do it right, I just want to bear in mind I spent $3k on the whole truck. I tend to over do things and I’m trying to be a good boy with this. I already had to pump my own brakes on doing some body work on it and remind myself it’s a work truck it can have some dings and dents lol

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like what @Erik the Awful and @someotherguy said, don't cheap it and do the whole shebang when you get a kit for the front suspension and do the rear at the same time. When you do those bushings, it is amazing how much better it all feels. It is WORK to do it all but worth it. Get an experienced friend to help and hand you beers and a nice day and safe tall jack stands and some air tools and "get dirty".

Retired from shops here in the PNW and still turn wrenches on the side and do suspension work is my favorite. My girl always takes a pic of how dirty I have gotten after each suspension job. She watches like a mother hen while I am under the rig. Gives her something to do. Also gives her something to nag me about. Good times.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like what @Erik the Awful and @someotherguy said, don't cheap it and do the whole shebang when you get a kit for the front suspension and do the rear at the same time. When you do those bushings, it is amazing how much better it all feels. It is WORK to do it all but worth it. Get an experienced friend to help and hand you beers and a nice day and safe tall jack stands and some air tools and "get dirty".

Retired from shops here in the PNW and still turn wrenches on the side and do suspension work is my favorite. My girl always takes a pic of how dirty I have gotten after each suspension job. She watches like a mother hen while I am under the rig. Gives her something to do. Also gives her something to nag me about. Good times.
I get dirty for a living, I’m not opposed to that part one bit! Nor am I scared of wrenches. I repair commercial HVAC/R equipment during the day and help folks out with residential repair/replacements at night/weekdays. I know a lot my age (31) don’t like to get dirty, but I’m raising two little men and somebody’s gotta show them.
My only concern was going too far and spending as much as I did on the truck on tuning up the suspension. I know myself too well.
Kinda wishing I’d splurged on a 4x4 if I’m gunna sink a ton into it, but figured for what it was I wouldn’t need it. Hard to find a decent shape decently maintained 4x4 with the miles I bought mine with (105k-ish) at all let alone at a price I can justify beating up around the yard/jobsite.

But I digress. I’ll shop around for quality parts. Kinda more looking for a list I guess. Would love to tune it up with my 11 year old boy and keep it good enough for him to drive to school one day. Nothing beats the memories made with friends on the weekends in the woods beating up dads poor old pick up. Except the beatings after lol

Hahaha gotta leave her something to nag about. My wife loves when I spend what little free time I have fiddling with my projects. Keeps them young

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, train and entertain the boys and have fun with them and be prepared for lots of questions, as I am sure you already know. In the PNW, unless you travel the passes all the time, the need for a 4x4 is rare. Good handling, good brakes and quality rain tires are the needs. Big plus, is no rust. On my 2005 Tahoe Z71 there is no rust.