Prothane vs rubber body mount bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are the same numbers. In fact, they are manufactured in Canada.

I was wondering about that.

I'll do a quick search on Brazil's counterpart to eBay (www.mercadolivre.com.br) using those part numbers.

I'll edit / update this post with whatever I find, this will only take a few minutes...

(edit) I'm seeing some listings on MercadoLivre, although I'm not yet certain they're GM Brazil rubber parts or some third-party poly thing. I wonder if the GM Brazil dealers can get them / if they're current product or discontinued. I may ask Carlos to look around some.

(editx2) Some of the listings I'm seeing on MercadoLivre are indeed genuine GM Brazil parts and other listings are obviously copy-cat parts. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that.

I'll do a quick search on Brazil's counterpart to eBay (www.mercadolivre.com.br) using those part numbers.

I'll edit / update this post with whatever I find, this will only take a few minutes...

(edit) I'm seeing some listings on MercadoLivre. I wonder if the GM Brazil dealers can get them / if they're current product or discontinued. I may ask Carlos to look around some.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything Prothane sent was the appropriate size for it's position... except maybe the upper/lower control arm bushings. The length was too much when shoved into the shell. I had to remove at least 0.125" of material and they were still a tight fit in the frame. ( Could be bushing shells were slightly thicker because I purchased cheap new rubber bushings to get new shells.)
I have a Prothane control arm set, but haven't used it. I used Energy Suspension Poly upper and lower control arm inserts on my '88 K1500 and they fit just fine. I re-used the original shells, and the original upper end-caps, but with new inner sleeves upper and lower. I had to fabricate the upper sleeves because neither ES nor Prothane supply them with the bushing insert kits.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ride... the thing has to be broken in. Before I torqued the arms, I jumped up and down on the front bumper. The thing rode like it didn't have springs. Every seam in the road was a bump. After several trips to work and an alignment, it's getting better.
Poly bushing inserts are not bonded to the outer shell, or inner sleeve. There is NO reason to jump on the bumper, or to have the vehicle at normal ride-height before torquing the control arm bolts. This is essential with bonded-rubber (OEM) bushings, but not with Poly.

Did you install the steel end-caps (as seen on the photo above and below) on the Poly upper control arm bushings?

Aside from the lack of squeaking, and greater steering precision, I could tell zero difference in the ride of my '88 K1500 with Poly control arm bushings compared to very wiped-out OEM bonded-rubber bushings.

You must be registered for see images attach

Out of curiosity, any of you northern guys ever try using a hockey puck? Just need a hole saw and a drill press.
www.amazon.com/Golden-Sport-Regulation-Practicing-Thickness/dp/B07Q87ZHD4/
I lived in an area where hockey-puck "body lift kits" were fairly popular in 1984.
A. Those big, rough-tough lifted 4WD trucks with bigass tires...would slow way down before going over railroad tracks. I crossed those same tracks at normal road speed on my Japanese sport-bike because the tracks weren't all that rough.

B. Every now and then, you'd see a scattering of broken hockey pucks along side the road...generally right after a big pothole. Sometimes with a wounded pickup parked nearby.

I've had a severe allergy to lifted trucks ever since.

Q. Why do Canadian girls use hockey pucks instead of tampons?

A. Because hockey pucks last three periods.

Last edited:

Alan Joyner

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the crew cab bushings are the same part numbers just two more mounts? I replaced with polyurethane but they ride like crap.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the crew cab bushings are the same part numbers just two more mounts? I replaced with polyurethane but they ride like crap.
No, 4 different part numbers for core support, front/middle cab and rear cab.
This should tell you all part numbers.

Last edited: