Help with stereo install!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm putting a different stereo in my '94 Sierra SLE, but I'm a bit of a stereo noob. The stereo is a Kenwood KDC-MP332, I've got it all wired correctly, but there's one wire, I don't see where it should go.

Here's a picture of the wiring diagram, this is the wire I'm confused on:

You must be registered for see images attach

Everything else matches up great (minus the brown TEL mute wire, which I'm not using anyway) but that blue and white wire. There's no blue/white wire on the truck's wiring, the only two wires from the truck harness I have left are an orange DIMMER wire and an orange/white one that says "ILLUMINATION/DIMMER" on it.

Also, I believe I have a fuse out because the stereo does nothing when the key is turned to on. The fuse on the back of the unit is good, it must be in the fuse box under the dash. But I don't see a radio/stereo fuse! Any help? Thanks!

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I'm putting a different stereo in my '94 Sierra SLE, but I'm a bit of a stereo noob. The stereo is a Kenwood KDC-MP332, I've got it all wired correctly, but there's one wire, I don't see where it should go.

Here's a picture of the wiring diagram, this is the wire I'm confused on:

Everything else matches up great (minus the brown TEL mute wire, which I'm not using anyway) but that blue and white wire. There's no blue/white wire on the truck's wiring, the only two wires from the truck harness I have left are an orange DIMMER wire and an orange/white one that says "ILLUMINATION/DIMMER" on it.

Also, I believe I have a fuse out because the stereo does nothing when the key is turned to on. The fuse on the back of the unit is good, it must be in the fuse box under the dash. But I don't see a radio/stereo fuse! Any help? Thanks!

I believe that blue/white wire is the power signal wire for if you have an amplifier hooked up. That wire would go to the amp's power signal terminal to tell it turn on when the radio is turned on.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe that blue/white wire is the power signal wire for if you have an amplifier hooked up. That wire would go to the amp's power signal terminal to tell it turn on when the radio is turned on.

Oh alright so if I'm using the stock speaker setup for now, I don't need that wire then? How about the fuse issue?

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Oh alright so if I'm using the stock speaker setup for now, I don't need that wire then? How about the fuse issue?

Yep, if you aren't hooking up an amp you can just leave that one taped off. Check fuse #17 and #19

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, if you aren't hooking up an amp you can just leave that one taped off. Check fuse #17 and #19

Well my fuses aren't numbered but I checked the 10amp one labeled "RDO" which should be the radio and it was good.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you, but the manual kinda tells you what it's for. Look at your picture. The little bit of text at the left end of your arrow say "If using an optional power amplifier, connect it using the power control wire."

As for your possible fuse issue, there are two possible fuses to look for. One is typically "Radio" and the other being "Courtesy".
Radio is more than likely the culprit since it's the one connected to the ignition circuit. It'll be a yellow wire coming out of the factory radio plug.

Last edited:

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm...I'm not very familiar with the pre '95 trucks. Do you have power windows?

Yes, power windows and locks.

As for your possible fuse issue, there are two possible fuses to look for. One is typically "Radio" and the other being "Courtesy".
Radio is more than likely the culprit since it's the one connected to the ignition circuit. It'll be a yellow wire coming out of the factory radio plug.

You were right, it was the courtesy fuse! Thanks!

Last edited:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You were right, it was the courtesy fuse! Thanks!
That still doesnt completely solve the issue though. The Courtesy fuse is connected to the stock radio memory wire. All it does is save presets/time/etc. when the radio is off. You could completely disconnect it from the radio and it should still work, you'll just have to reset everything every time you got in your truck.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
That still doesnt completely solve the issue though. The Courtesy fuse is connected to the stock radio memory wire. All it does is save presets/time/etc. when the radio is off. You could completely disconnect it from the radio and it should still work, you'll just have to reset everything every time you got in your truck.
That is only true for the factory radio, which draws the majority of needed power through the switched Radio circuit. Most aftermarket headunits draw their main power through the constantly powered Courtesy (Radio Batt in 95+) circuit, the power from the ignition switch is only used as a trigger to turn the unit on.