New Stereo @Wh4t3v3rs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Wh4t3v3rs Since you're the go to stereo guy i have a question for ya.
I am wanting to replace the Atoto S8 double din stereo i currently have for a Pioneer, Kenwood double din to name a couple.
The last Pioneer i had was a AVH-270BT if i remember correctly. It seemed like a decent radio.
Looking for a stereo around $300 ish
CD compatibility or Sirius is not important as i don't have any CD and Sirius kinda sucks anyway, mostly listen to local radio stations or Pandora using Android auto.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Wh4t3v3rs Since you're the go to stereo guy i have a question for ya.
I am wanting to replace the Atoto S8 double din stereo i currently have for a Pioneer, Kenwood double din to name a couple.
The last Pioneer i had was a AVH-270BT if i remember correctly. It seemed like a decent radio.
Looking for a stereo around $300 ish
CD compatibility or Sirius is not important as i don't have any CD and Sirius kinda sucks anyway, mostly listen to local radio stations or Pandora using Android auto.
I'm a Kenwood fan! Someone looking for a deal that doesn't break the bank and gives them great bang for buck on options is the.... Kenwood DMX7709s
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/caraudio/navigation_multimedia/dmx7709s/

My favorite radio to sell besides the DMX1037x. I love those two radios!!

And I don't know about the goto guy!!! Haha I'm sure there's people on here with more or as much knowledge as me. I appreciate your confidence in my judgment and that knowledge! It's humbling, thank you!!

Last edited:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was mistaken the last good stereo was a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX.
Never had a Kenwood i can remember but sure willing to give it a try.
Since i got this Suburban i never really did anything more than install the Atoto stereo and Infinity speakers using the stock wiring for the speakers and adaptor harness for the HU.
Discovered today the rear speakers sound like ****! probably because it's all running through the stock amp but the front sound pretty dang good if the rears are turned off.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would the HU you suggested work nicely with a Alpine BBX-F1200 4CH amp and a Infinity Bass link under seat sub?
I have 4 infinity speakers 6.5in. One set has separate tweeters (front) the other set (rear) is coaxial style.

The reason i want to swap out the stereo is the Atoto only has 1 sub preamp output but the Basslink sub needs two inputs. I don't know how well it would work using the speaker inputs to get both channels. No sure about the best way to wire it either.

I suppose after having all this stuff sitting for a year and a half next weekend i'll finally do something and get it all installed properly.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would the HU you suggested work nicely with a Alpine BBX-F1200 4CH amp and a Infinity Bass link under seat sub?
I have 4 infinity speakers 6.5in. One set has separate tweeters (front) the other set (rear) is coaxial style.

The reason i want to swap out the stereo is the Atoto only has 1 sub preamp output but the Basslink sub needs two inputs. I don't know how well it would work using the speaker inputs to get both channels. No sure about the best way to wire it either.

I suppose after having all this stuff sitting for a year and a half next weekend i'll finally do something and get it all installed properly.
It has front/rear/subwoofer stereo rca outputs

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With this head unit what would be a good amp setup with 4 door speakers and a powered under seat sub?
Pretty much a entire new setup for the 2001 suburban including speakers.
No including HU i have around $1200 for amp, sub, and door speakers

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Wh4t3v3rs Or anyone.
I think THIS amp would work good enough along with These speakers for the front and These for the rear.
I'll be using the under seat mini sub i have here

I have tried to match ohm's and watts a close as i could. Think this set up would end up sounding reasonably decent?

OK So now i have changed my mind. Dam* stereo stuff is so hard to shop for with a overabundance of bad choices a guy can make!

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I was in a stereo shop, but I remember having issues with some infinity speakers on some amps. The speakers were rated at 4ohms but would always ohm out at 3ohms. They would make some of the less expensive head units and amps run on the warm side.

But on topic, I don’t think you can go wrong with pioneer or kenwood but I’ve been swaying towards kenwood

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Im a Pioneer guy more or less.
Reason i want Infinity Kappa speakers is from what i read they are known for sound quality.
Im not after loud volume just good sound. Pretty subjective for everyone and a $1200 budget makes it hard.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subjectively, infinities do sound nice. Hertz is another nice sounding speaker.

I won’t say that having components in the rear doors is a waste but, I’d consider coax in the rears to save some money.

That money saved could be spent on some resonance mitigation for the front doors to increase the quality of the sound that you hear.