Help with harmonic balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was going to replace the timing chain cover and I’m having a hard time removing the harmonic balancer.

Took a pic of the inside and found somebody used a gasket material previously. Look by the key.

You must be registered for see images attach

1996 5.7 Vortec.

Now what..... any suggestions???

Thx
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should still pull off. Do you have a harmonic balancer puller?

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one from Harbor Freight. The bolts that connect to the balancer are too short to drive the center shaft against the crank bolt.

I started using the small cone on the tip but was getting nervous when wouldn't move.

If I use an impact gun with the cone, do I run the risk of damaging the front of the crank?

Or should I find longer bolts so the center shaft pushes against the crank bolt?

thx

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it.

Had to increase the power on the impact gun and go in several short bursts.

Thx for letting me know I didn’t forget something.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, they can be stubborn. I like the round pullers/installers rather than the steering wheel puller type. Glad you were able to get it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those dampers get sealed to the crank snout to prevent oil leakage around the ID of the damper, OD of crank snout.

When you put it back together, you'll need to re-seal it.

ALWAYS push against the crank bolt, AFTER you remove the bigass washer, and screw the crank bolt back in by hand as far as it will go.

No surprise that Hazzard Fraught tools don't work properly, or include proper accessories. Having said that, I'd like to see a photo of your tool set up on the damper and crank.

When you push the damper back on, make sure you screw the pusher tool deeply into the crank BEFORE you start pressing the damper on, or you'll rip the threads out of the snout.

Last edited:

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s the tool setup:

Thanks for the explanation of sealant on the key way.

For the crank snout, wipe a thin layer on there before installing the balancer? I’m guessing the ID of the balancer pushes the sealant back to create a seal. But doesn’t that cause a problem if the sealant touches the crank seal that’s in the timing cover?

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed the balancer goes past the seal... smh....

All good now.

Just waiting on the Permatex Ultra Black to cure. Didn’t catch the 24hr cure time on the package.... what’s the preferred gasket maker for this type of work?

Thx everyone.