Header bolts-tool suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Friggen headers.
Try using a 6 point box instead of a 12 where you can.
Then, get some of this
You must be registered for see images attach
peel and stick aluminum tape. Home depot, lowes etc..Also sold as "auto body tape"
Cut a small strip of this and wrap it over the bolt head to the point that you have to force the wrench or socket onto it.
The tape eliminates the slop between the wrench and the head and often times gets you enough grip on rounded over bolts to get them out.
And yep, dent the tubes.
Make sure the header flange is dead nuts flat before you bolt them back on and the go over it with a gnarly raspy file.
A little "tooth" on the head and the header helps keep that gasket from blowing

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 on the 6 point, but that is if you have 6 point bolt heads. I have had 12 point bolts before, and for that, you have to use a 12 point wrench. Hell I have even used this weird allen hex head combo. They arent worth a crap. Also stay away from cheap bolts. ARP are good bolts. They need to be a grade 8 bolt.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A crowfoot on the torque wrench may be something to look at as well. Technically, you’d need to adjust the setpoint on the torque wrench based on the length from the crowfoot to the torque wrench anvil. Calculators are online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently installed some shorty JBA headers, used a long skinny box end 3/8 wrench with a real thin box end that fit in just fine. used a small pipe over wrench to tighten up. Problem I had was hooking up with the exhaust pipes. Found a real short combo wrench that I could get in above the flange to tighten the 3 bolts holding the end of the headers and exhaust flange together. been working great. Headers sure help get even more power out of my new 383 stroker. Bolts and gaskets came with headers.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Spectre bolts from autozone. They have a Allen head in the center.
Yea, I tried a set sone time back. They are garbage. Grade 5 maybe, so guess what, as you torque them down, they tend to strip out or the metal rolls over on you. They are a soft metal. As I mentiond before, use a grade 8 bolt,and you wont have these issues. Spend the extra money, and get a set of ARP header bolts. Well worth the extra $.