Header bolts-tool suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Eric

Reaction score
I have a similar set up - Summit Racing heads (made by Trick Flow) with slant plugs, and Summit Racing shorty headers (made by Pace Setter) but I can only get to some easily. The rest I have to use a combination like you do or other ways. I even ground down a standard plug socket to barely fit over the plug with the extension in the socket to get into a couple of ones. Another one, I used just a 5/8" 12-point box wrench to get to it. I can get it done in about an hour or so, depending on how many beverage breaks I take.

Really a PITA but, how often do you change plugs?:33:

About every other year......, sometimes easy year. If I replace the cap and rotor, turf spark plugs... most of the time... I know it's overkill, but I like to check the gap and the electrode condition, and since it's out......

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Had a '70 Nova with a BBC. Classified as a 'compact' back in it's day.
Small car, big engine, Large primary tube headers. 2-1/8". (!)
I could pull the plugs, clean, gap & install them on my lunch hour at work & still have time to sit down for a sandwich & a coffee.
Before that I had a '69 Chevelle. A 'mid-size'.
Bigger car, small engine, smaller headers. 1-5/8" tubes.
It'd take an hour just to get the plugs outa that damn thing. Even with practice.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it seem counter-intuitive to remove the starter, but it might be worth it.

That's actually what I do.. I don't pull it all the way out, and leave it hooked up (that in itself is a PITA to remove the wires), and let it sit on the frame.

Bu327

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use ARP stainless 12 point bolts and FelPro gaskets. Make sure your gasket matches your headers and exhaust ports. I have an old double box end wrench that I ground down around the outside of one end. This allows it to fit against a tight header tube. During the first week of use, retighten all bolts everyday. The bolts/gaskets will take a set and shouldn’t leak after that. I’ve never used the 5/16 headed ARP bolts, they might work well, but I feel like the small head can get rounded more easily. Just be gentle with them.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I built my first Cadillac motor I bought an ARP engine set for it. I wasn't impressed with the 3/8" heads on every bolt, but after 20 years, I can say they're well worth the expense. It didn't have header bolts, but I'd trust them more than anyone else's.