Header bolts-tool suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently installed some shorty JBA headers, used a long skinny box end 3/8 wrench with a real thin box end that fit in just fine. used a small pipe over wrench to tighten up. Problem I had was hooking up with the exhaust pipes. Found a real short combo wrench that I could get in above the flange to tighten the 3 bolts holding the end of the headers and exhaust flange together. been working great. Headers sure help get even more power out of my new 383 stroker. Bolts and gaskets came with headers.
Recently installed some shorty JBA headers, used a long skinny box end 3/8 wrench with a real thin box end that fit in just fine. used a small pipe over wrench to tighten up. Problem I had was hooking up with the exhaust pipes. Found a real short combo wrench that I could get in above the flange to tighten the 3 bolts holding the end of the headers and exhaust flange together. been working great. Headers sure help get even more power out of my new 383 stroker. Bolts and gaskets came with headers.

I just bought some JBAs for my 1998 5.7. Any reccomendations on bolts. I was thinking ARP.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bolt is 3/8. The 10mm is the socket size used to tighten them.

I don't use paper header gaskets. Ever. They just leak, no matter what you do. Exhaust manifold gaskets are a better choice.

I put stainless shorties on my plow truck 13 years ago. Reusable Mr. Gasket Copper gaskets. I've never retightened the bolts, and they've never loosened up. Snow plowing heat cycles, towing, daily driving, 82,000ish miles.
Give them a try...

Last edited:

Postmech

Reaction score
Most small block header 6 point bolts I have used are 7/16" or 3/8" head size on a 3/8-16 thread bolt. You can buy quality socket head cap screws at nut and bolt suppliers that will fit but are a little tedious to install. I have sometimes made a spacer out of small pipe and used a longer bolt on my hotrods if there is room. ARP all the way.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I buy the 5/16 headed ones for my big tube headers but on my tbi 400sbc in 90 swb sport truck with stock th400 (375) i had 3" 3/8 grade 8 bolts with nuts run to end of threads and a lock washer. I did that on all except 2 and used stock manifold gaskets. When i sold it i had put 115k on engine and never a header leak. Truck went 3 more years with two different owners before it got rolled and still no header leak.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This,,.
Even having thick flanges is no guaranty of flatness.
No amount of torque or make/model of gasket will help if the flange isn't perfectly flat.
Lol when you find on perfectly flat after one bolt up lets see it! The tubes have raised welds on flanges the do the sealing and center usually only ones trouble after a few times. I cut between the tubes so i have 3 parts bolted up instead of one big one. Always seem to seal up better