Headache rack builders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im interested in building my own headache rack since i don't see a reason to spend 300 plus dollars on one that i really don't like. So im curious is to how you guys who have built one measured the angle of the cab to have it go along the cab curves. Also has anuone built it to go over the cab? I would like one similar to the one willie has from duck dynasty if anuone has seen it. To mount a spare tire or camping gear. Any advice would be great.

Sent from fiberglass covered Galaxy S3

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
You measure from bed rail to top of cab, when cutting it you wanna have a slight angle on it to follow the angle of the cab

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You measure from bed rail to top of cab, when cutting it you wanna have a slight angle on it to follow the angle of the cab

Do would it be best to just trial and error with some wood for the exact angle? Or is their a way to figure out the angle needed.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Measure the width at the bedrail, then measure the width at the top of the cab. Once you have it drawn out to scale you can find the angle using the 2 dimensions. Or you can just build it to those dimensions & not even worry about the exact angle.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using these measurements (http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...uot-Vegas-quot&p=256893&viewfull=1#post256893) that Chris got for me, the angle between the cab's rearmost pillar and the top of the box is ~70.35[SUP]o[/SUP].

This is a quick design of the rack/basket I made for Chris using those measurements

You must be registered for see images attach

Thats the one i want lol. I have it saved to my phone as a reference lol.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Thats the one i want lol. I have it saved to my phone as a reference lol.

I thought I had more pictures of it but I can't find them. I still have the solidworks file though, so if I can get SW2012 to work on windows 8 I can make some changes to it or take more pictures.

Do uou know by chance if it is made already?

No, I drew it up for Chris but he never built it or had it built.