Full Synthetic --- Vortec 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Been debating whether or not to put full synthetic oil in both trucks instead of the synthetic blend...

Questions: Does anyone run full synthetic in their Vortec 350's? If so, do you get regular full synthetic or the high mileage full synthetic? Is the ACDelco PF52E filter full synthetic compatible? I have read of stories online of people having oil leaks when putting synthetic in these engines, is this true or a myth? I also read on a forum you will gain a little bit of oil pressure, is that true or a myth? My 97 has almost 240k mi. and my 98 has almost 160k mi.

Thanks! :)

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 has a new crate engine in it with 25k miles and cause of age, I’ve replaced all the leaking parts with the new engine. Been running full synthetic In it since I got it back in 2000. No issues.

Started getting leaks at about 200k on the original motor but hat was because of age and mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I have a '96 C1500 with vortec that I have run full synthetic in since '99. 162K miles. I use Mobil1. Truck has a slight leak on the rear main seal which is because it's old and should be changed when i can do it. No drips on the ground but the trans cover has to be wiped down when I change oil.

I always buy the regular mobil1 from Walmart, but over the last few years I've noticed they're only getting the the high mileage stuff so I'll use it.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Ok, I will probably just stick to the synthetic blend. Thanks guys! :)

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went from Pennzoil conventional to Amsoil full synthetic and haven't had any leaks, and I swapped at 15X,***; I'm at 171, 309 and haven't had any leaks, my oil pressure has improved, and my engine valve-train doesn't clatter anymore.

I think you'll be good, it probably wouldn't hurt to run a cleaner through it if you do swap to full synthetic. Mine's overdue for a treatment with Amsoil Engine and Transmission cleaner.

Turbokat

Reaction score
I'm running full synthetic with no problems but its quite expensive compared to regular mineral. Synthetic is nice if you live in a colder climate

Reaction score
Been debating whether or not to put full synthetic oil in both trucks instead of the synthetic blend...

Questions: Does anyone run full synthetic in their Vortec 350's? If so, do you get regular full synthetic or the high mileage full synthetic? Is the ACDelco PF52E filter full synthetic compatible? I have read of stories online of people having oil leaks when putting synthetic in these engines, is this true or a myth? I also read on a forum you will gain a little bit of oil pressure, is that true or a myth? My 97 has almost 240k mi. and my 98 has almost 160k mi.

Thanks! :)

I'm running full synthetic with no problems but its quite expensive compared to regular mineral. Synthetic is nice if you live in a colder climate
Run synthetic. Aside from the expense there is no downside. And the expense can be offset with longer drain intervals. the "synthetic made my engine leak " is usually from the synthetic oils and their additives cleaning the gunk out of your engine and exposing leak paths. Use this if you are not sure what specification of oil to buy. https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/C...l/Publications/2019 EOLCS Motor Oil Guide.pdf

Reaction score
I went from Pennzoil conventional to Amsoil full synthetic and haven't had any leaks, and I swapped at 15X,***; I'm at 171, 309 and haven't had any leaks, my oil pressure has improved, and my engine valve-train doesn't clatter anymore.

I think you'll be good, it probably wouldn't hurt to run a cleaner through it if you do swap to full synthetic. Mine's overdue for a treatment with Amsoil Engine and Transmission cleaner.
and you can mix synthetic and mineral oils. What do you think synthetic blend is?

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Thanks for the great help guys. I did buy a 5qt. jug of Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 for $26 at WalMart tonight. Going to put in my 98 tomorrow at school. The jug claims that it won't expose any leak paths on older engines. :shrug:

Its good to hear that it does increase oil pressure, because my 97 could sure use some more oil pressure. Cruising down the highway at 60 has around 30 psi lol. Hopefully the full synthetic should help that. :)

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a 98 model. I started using Mobile fully synthetic at about 150k. It has 311k on it now. No oil leaks (knock on wood). Oil pressure is about 20 idling and around 40 going down the road. It says it's good for 15k between oil changes but I'll change it at about 10k. I've been through the ringer 3 times on that spider injection set up. But the last one from GM has done real good. (More knocks on more wood.) It'll go when you open up that throttle body but I don't do that very often with the miles it has on it. Had it for twenty years. Only major repair was transmission at 211k. Good truck.