Is Synthetic Brake Fluid a Marketing Gimmick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the process of performing a lot of brake work on my 1989 Silverado including flushing the old, dirty, contaminated, tea-colored brake fluid. The local WalMart has Prestone DOT 3 synthetic brake fluid on the shelf. Is "synthetic" brake fluid a marketing gimmick? Is the synthetic fluid actually better than regular DOT 3 brake fluid?
Below is a link to Prestone's synthetic brake fluid.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many/most fluids are manufactured synthetically now. No gimmick. But then again regular brake fluid isn’t natural so it’s synthetic as well. Supposedly able to absorb more water.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most "synthetic" OIL is a marketing gimmick in the USA.

What's sold as "synthetic" oil in the USA could not be sold as synthetic in Europe.

MOST "synthetic" motor oil in the USA is made from...refined crude oil.

I completely expect that "synthetic" grease, and "synthetic" brake fluid is just as big a scam as typical "synthetic" oil.

Getting REAL synthetic oil in the USA is a challenge. It's available, but you'd better know what you're looking for, and be able to sort-out the pretenders.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is <fluid that goes in your car> subject to outrageous false claims and marketing BS?

Yes, yes it is. Put normal DOT 3 in and you will be good.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is an actual synthetic brake fluid, it is available as DOT 4, the military also calls it Silicon Brake fluid. It is not Hydroscopic. Very high boil point, very low freeze point. Excellent in long term storage stability.
In the case of engine oil. Mineral based engine oil is traditional refined engine oil. Synthetic engine oils have an original base in mineral oil then refined with poly esters to make the superior performance over mineral oils.
As for what ever the E.U. or Country regulation regarding what defines a synthetic versus a non synthetic product, that argument becomes an endless whirlpool depending on what country you reside in.
" Natural " is not an accurate term. Remember, the is it " animal, vegetable, or mineral" ?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I see being discussed in the UK is 'low viscosity' brake fluid. Supposedly for ABS systems where the low viscosity aids ABS operation by being more fluid and enabling faster flow through ABS valves.
Kind of begs the question why is this a thing now after we've had ABS for several decades.