Brake Fluid Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Saved me a lot of typing. Thanks.

The recommended amount is ONE GALLON for the 3-channel ABS-equipped GMT400s.

Bleed a pint out of each wheel cylinder (1/2 gallon)

Activate the self-bleed procedure on the ABS using a scan tool, four or six times depending on the ABS unit

Bleed another pint out of each corner (second 1/2 gallon)

Good luck.

Thanks for this! Saving that PDF to the GMT400 folder. Looks like I may need to order some more fluid as I am planning on having my mechanic flush the ABS module as well.

It does seem odd that there's such a huge discrepancy between the recommended amount of fluid from GM and what others here have reported though. I wonder if the GM procedure is excessive by design...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Saving that PDF to the GMT400 folder. Looks like I may need to order some more fluid as I am planning on having my mechanic flush the ABS module as well.

It does seem odd that there's such a huge discrepancy between the recommended amount of fluid from GM and what others here have reported though. I wonder if the GM procedure is excessive by design...

I suspect this to be the case. I can get clean fluid before a pint comes out of each wheel.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I suspect this to be the case. I can get clean fluid before a pint comes out of each wheel.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol:

Screw it, I went ahead and ordered another six pack of the Wilwood 570. Bringing me to a total of 1.21875 gallons. It'll get used eventually one way or another. Or at least that's what I'll tell myself every time I walk past it in the garage.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
:lol:

Screw it, I went ahead and ordered another six pack of the Wilwood 570. Bringing me to a total of 1.21875 gallons. It'll get used eventually one way or another. Or at least that's what I'll tell myself every time I walk past it in the garage.

Now to plant the seed of doubt: remember when I said I only ever boiled fluid once in the Z06? It had Wilwood 570 in it. :anitoof:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now to plant the seed of doubt: remember when I said I only ever boiled fluid once in the Z06? It had Wilwood 570 in it. :anitoof:

LOL god damn it. You could have told me that earlier instead of just saying the Castrol stuff was better.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

In any case it's got to be better than what's in there now.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
LOL god damn it. You could have told me that earlier instead of just saying the Castrol stuff was better.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

In any case it's got to be better than what's in there now.

The cheapest crap WalMart has is better than what's in there now.