Brake Fluid Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Consider how long DOT 3 fluid was used, and how many vehicles there are out there, that have never had the fluid flushed and refilled.

I think you'll be good with any off the shelf DOT 3 fluid that meets the correct specs. Don't over think it, you're not taking your pickup to the autocross track or going fast and turning left for 500miles.

This^^^

df,
Just replaced the front brakes on my 96 and thoroughly flushed rears and fronts (plus forgot to put the lid back on the reservoir once and squirted quite a bit out) and I used about 2 1/2 quarts. I got the cleanest brake lines in the county.......

And I used SuperTech Dot 3.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would also add, keeping the fluids--all the fluids--clean in a vehicle is more important than buying the most expensive stuff and then trying to make it last longer.

Just my experience, observation, and dumbazz opinion.......

Agreed, 100%.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I went ahead and ordered a little over 2.5qt of the Wilwood 570 DOT 3. Mainly because of the specs and price point. It's got boiling points higher than the DOT 4 minimums, and the fact that it's DOT 3 (which the owner's manual calls for) gives me the warm fuzzies. Not much more expensive than the ACDelco DOT 3 I linked in the first post.

Thanks for the input everyone!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Admit it damned you - admit it! THREE quarts! You bought three quarts!

2.625 to be exact. :lol:

With my luck I'll probably need the full three for some reason.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago at Sebring we were bleeding the BMW's brakes with Motul 600, and my teammate who was keeping the master cylinder full didn't remove the cup in the reservoir, slowing how quickly the bottle refilled it. I bled the crap out of the brakes and kept getting air. The race shop there had three 500ml bottles of Motul, and we went through all three - at $28 a bottle. Then we figured out the master cylinder was running dry. Doh! That's an extra $12 per driver in race fees.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keeping the fluids--all the fluids--clean in a vehicle is more important than buying the most expensive stuff and then trying to make it last longer.
Saved me a lot of typing. Thanks.

2.625 to be exact. :lol:

With my luck I'll probably need the full three for some reason.
The recommended amount is ONE GALLON for the 3-channel ABS-equipped GMT400s.

Bleed a pint out of each wheel cylinder (1/2 gallon)

Activate the self-bleed procedure on the ABS using a scan tool, four or six times depending on the ABS unit

Bleed another pint out of each corner (second 1/2 gallon)

Good luck.

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 81