Is Synthetic Brake Fluid a Marketing Gimmick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Statistics are math. Math never lies, it is incapable of deception. 2+2=4, no matter what. If you arrive at a different answer, you weren't adding 2+2.
People on the other hand can and do manipulate stats and use them to support lies.
I've taken more hours of stats than anyone should have to, and I am not a fan!
Yep! Statistics are the most often quoted excuse that I have encountered in my career in quality control and used as justification to save money by eliminating the QC department.
Theoretically, If I over a period of time randomly inspect 10 percent of production I would expect flaws to approach zero.
Mathmatically, that depends on the volume of output over a span of time.
If we manufactered even washers from a punch press we would expect a start up failure rate that may be fairly high.
But the experianced technicians running that press will solve those problems and all of the defective parts never make it to QC.
You have to "sell it" to inspection.
It has to be "bought off" by inspection.
They bring you the "Golden Part"
Back in the day we would paint the perfect part gold and keep it in a bonded area and that was the standard we inspected to.
So, mathmatically we have achieved our goal and statisically all we have to do is keep generating that volume at the same rate while keeping the defect at the same rate and then we get to meaningless stat zero.
But that is not what happens.
When they bring you that perfect part that is a very controlled snap shot of that particullar machine and that technician.
If I stat check the first 100 parts out of a thousand part run and they are good.
Statisically Im good.
Unless the machine wears out unexpectady or they put the wrong material in or his wife shows up in the middle of the night and beats him with her cain and wants to get divorced so she can marry Tiger Woods.
Yes, that did happen
My other huge problem with stat based managers is that have no clue about anything.
They do the math and figure out how they can make themselves more money by gutting the company to show a short term proffit then they ******* run away.
Statiscally, four out of five employees who recomend dying at work think they are number crunching ***** assholes

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help it but, here goes...

Has anyone heard of Six Sigma? A defect rate of 3.4 (edited IIRC) in a million parts. 3 sigma is acceptable in most manufacturing environments. GE rate of acceptable light bulbs was 3 Sigma. Airlines are closer to 6 sigma.

Has anyone heard of Gauge R&R? In order to measure defects you have to qualify the gauge you're using in Repeatability and Reliability. We take 10 samples and 3 people testing them so you have 30 different results. Then you create a bell curve where the majority come within tolerance. If it doesn't, you need a better gauge or operator. Kinda like measuring a crank journal with a tape measure instead of a micrometer.

This is all part of the process you're trying to control - DMAIC (Design Measure Analyze Improve Control)

BTW I'm a black belt from years ago. My head is starting to hurt, hold my beer while I go get a shot :cool:

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Six Sigma?
Yes. I've been through the greenbelt and blackbelt processes several times, but I'm not a belt myself. I did get invited to a two-day meeting once where we had a bunch of Senior NCOs, brass, and five blackbelts. That was the most high-power meeting I've ever been a part of. It was absolutely amazing and we made recommendations that resulted in real change.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly,statistics, tell me what information your looking to support and I'll include only that which supports it in my charts graphs etc. Always have to read between the lines.
This can be done in such a way that if you miss the first misrepresentation, and everything subsequent is valid, the consumer doesn't realize that the whole thing is fatally flawed. You see it in the political arena all the time, particularly opinion poll data.
I can construct a survey that will give any result you want about any question you have. It's completely unethical, but it happens far more frequently than people realize.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Hi CDC, can you please consider 0-19 year old people as Children so I can have a shocking headline and talking point. Oh while your at it CDC, can you please hide this other stat since that one contradicts my agenda.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi CDC, can you please consider 0-19 year old people as Children so I can have a shocking headline and talking point. Oh while your at it CDC, can you please hide this other stat since that one contradicts my agenda.

This is why every study, drug trial, whatever, should have to publish their non-adjusted data to the public. The fact that they want to delay it for 75 years in one well known case sends up major red flags to me.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our UK government is currently telling us that crime is down 30%. And it is. If you exclude fraud - as it does.
Telling me - who got scammed buying a fridge/freezer on-line (no idea if I'll get my money back) - that crime is down 30%. Hard for me to overlook fraud though. But for those who are insulated from such things, the headline statistic sounds fantastic. And determines who they vote for. Liars. No surprise they choose to disregard fraud then.