A little info pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So HMMWV's run the 6.5 diesel and so on. I drove them but never worked on much. And they use a warn hydraulic winch, powered by power steering pump, along with hydro boost brakes. I was wondering if they use any type of mil spec or exotic fluid. So after a little searching found the Lubrication Table for Humvee. Surprise, since the beginning they have used Dexron lll. And if it had a issue with not being comparable or some kind reliability issue, the Maintenance, Supply managers track , manage broken , unserviceable parts would have raised red flags. As a choice in our series trucks with the same power steering pumps, using Dexron lll would not be a crazy brain damaged choice. Are there more advanced fluids , synthetic fluids, sure. Technology marches on.
This only to show that there is an operator of hundreds, thousand (?), that uses an ATF old specification, Dexron lll.
The next series, generation trucks I haven't dealt with lately. So no research there. I included the chart. I would be ok with using Dexron in my power steer system. It's your choice what's best for you. This is just to show that there is written proof of Dexron lll used as power steering fluid. Good luck! :patriot:
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So HMMWV's run the 6.5 diesel and so on. I drove them but never worked on much. And they use a warn hydraulic winch, powered by power steering pump, along with hydro boost brakes. I was wondering if they use any type of mil spec or exotic fluid. So after a little searching found the Lubrication Table for Humvee. Surprise, since the beginning they have used Dexron lll. And if it had a issue with not being comparable or some kind reliability issue, the Maintenance, Supply managers track , manage broken , unserviceable parts would have raised red flags. As a choice in our series trucks with the same power steering pumps, using Dexron lll would not be a crazy brain damaged choice. Are there more advanced fluids , synthetic fluids, sure. Technology marches on.
This only to show that there is an operator of hundreds, thousand (?), that uses an ATF old specification, Dexron lll.
The next series, generation trucks I haven't dealt with lately. So no research there. I included the chart. I would be ok with using Dexron in my power steer system. It's your choice what's best for you. This is just to show that there is written proof of Dexron lll used as power steering fluid. Good luck! :patriot:
You must be registered for see images attach

Yep Dodge also used GM pumps and boxes and specified ATF+4. Zero issues running inexpensive Dex3 ATF for years in my GM power steering systems. Nissan and Toyota power steering systems have also used Dex 3 for years up until they went with an Electric pump. Avoid Dex VI though for anything that did not use it from the factory especially in our transmissions.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep Dodge also used GM pumps and boxes and specified ATF+4. Zero issues running inexpensive Dex3 ATF for years in my GM power steering systems. Nissan and Toyota power steering systems have also used Dex 3 for years up until they went with an Electric pump. Avoid Dex VI though for anything that did not use it from the factory especially in our transmissions.

Correct on Yoda. My Lexus takes DexIII for power steering, and says so right on the cap.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That'll be my choice the next time I'm doing a PS pump in Afghanistan. The fluids at the parts store are pretty much the same price though, seems like the only real benefit is the convenience of using surplus ATF.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That'll be my choice the next time I'm doing a PS pump in Afghanistan. The fluids at the parts store are pretty much the same price though, seems like the only real benefit is the convenience of using surplus ATF.
Kind of along the lines of what I was thinking..

Richard

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I really want to know is if you can use power steering fluid in your transmission.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny, my shop manuals clearly state to NEVER use trans fluid in Saginaw P/S pumps.
GM removed all licensing from DexIII in 2011. GM recommends DexVI in all of its transmissions past, and present.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny, my shop manuals clearly state to NEVER use trans fluid in Saginaw P/S pumps.
GM removed all licensing from DexIII in 2011. GM recommends DexVI in all of its transmissions past, and present.
Yet they are going through more transmissions than ever. That low viscosity stuff does not play well with the bushings and lockup clutch.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I buy my Dex 3 in 5 gallon containers.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

In my opinion, that's got more to do with corporate marketing, policy, political garbage. They ALWAYS recommend the specified thing, so they have to recommend you NEVER use something else. If ATF has been replaced with a power steering fluid, then they ALWAYS recommend the current spec, and NEVER recommend the old, by default. ATF was used for years in the same boxes/pumps. It didn't suddenly start damaging PS systems. This reminds me of NEVER EVER alarmist click bait on Facebook, when you actually read it, it ends up being no big deal.

Licensing is just paper work and a money exchange. Neither one changes the physical properties of something. Just because Dex3 is no longer licensed, doesn't mean the products in the bottle are different now, and won't work just fine. Sure, cheaper substances could be used, and the product could be inferior, but if we're talking shady practices, a bit of paper work wasn't going to stop that anyway.

My PS system is mostly ATF, with over 300K miles on the original pump.