Fuel pump snap ring problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Wow, Have seen an actual snap ring to hold a GM fuel pump in place...ever!

What does RockAuto show in listing for fuel pump retainer?

Still waiting for "This" answer!!!

Pump fell inside? Right tank? Right Pump? Not supposed to be Snap Ring?

YES!!! My 1998 Suburban has a snap ring that retains the fuel pump in the tank. It does not use the twist in retainer. WOW SMART ASS!:yourself:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOL - where do you get these emojis? I'd love to put one like this on her face book page!

If you click the little smiley face icon right above where you type the body of a post it'll bring up a menu with a ton of them. :guile-1::biggun:

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
YES!!! My 1998 Suburban has a snap ring that retains the fuel pump in the tank. It does not use the twist in retainer. WOW SMART ASS!:yourself:

Did know you had no control of your emotions! Have your bitting your finger nail or have you tried depends? My grandma used them.
What is your problem? Are you honestly that mad at someone trying to help? Seriously? Do you shoot your neighbors dog or just poison it?

I am going by what I have seen, not every vehicle is manufactured at the same plant or even in this country, but what I checked to helpful was a GMT400 1996 C1500! Not a Suburban!

The post started out without any vehicle information from someone that appeared to new. Hell, for all I know, he was having fuel pump "Snap-Ring" issue on his YUGO!

I refuse to return in kind your lovely favor or comment...if that's what you choose to be, an ass! This is a forum to help people with their vehicle issues, please note the forum has no room for people who wish to treat anyone trying to help a fellow GM truck owner with disrespect. I am positive the moderator would agree!

Congratulations on your 1998 Suburban snap ring! May have many more that do not fail. :) Have a nice day. (ASE Master Tech Wanta-Be)

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Did know you had no control of your emotions! Have your bitting your finger nail or have you tried depends? My grandma used them.
What is your problem? Are you honestly that mad at someone trying to help? Seriously? Do you shoot your neighbors dog or just poison it?

I am going by what I have seen, not every vehicle is manufactured at the same plant or even in this country, but what I checked to helpful was a GMT400 1996 C1500! Not a Suburban!

The post started out without any vehicle information from someone that appeared to new. Hell, for all I know, he was having fuel pump "Snap-Ring" issue on his YUGO!

I refuse to return in kind your lovely favor or comment...if that's what you choose to be, an ass! This is a forum to help people with their vehicle issues, please note the forum has no room for people who wish to treat anyone trying to help a fellow GM truck owner with disrespect. I am positive the moderator would agree!

Congratulations on your 1998 Suburban snap ring! May have many more that do not fail. :) Have a nice day. (ASE Master Tech Wanta-Be)

KEN, all I did was point out the fact that the OP stated that he had a snap ring NOt a twist lock retainer. If you had bothered to read the opening post you would have seen that. You decided to come back with a flip answer and smart ass attitude to which I replied. If you cannot respond to posts with out having a know it all attitude don't expect folks here to tolerate it. SO once again,:yourself:. Have a nice day:Moon:

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score

KEN, all I did was point out the fact that the OP stated that he had a snap ring NOt a twist lock retainer. If you had bothered to read the opening post you would have seen that. You decided to come back with a flip answer and smart ass attitude to which I replied. If you cannot respond to posts with out having a know it all attitude don't expect folks here to tolerate it. SO once again,:yourself:. Have a nice day:Moon:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Whew...

Well how's this for a know-it-all answer?

1988 to mid-1997 GMT400 pickups will have the lock ring style retainer and skeleton-style exposed sender. Later 1997-up pickups will have the large snap ring retainer and what I fondly refer to as the "plastic trash can" pump assembly that is like a big spring-loaded bucket. Those are the ones that can sometimes be a sonofabitch to get seated properly. Personally have not seen one pop loose though after installation. I wonder if someone butchered OP's sending unit/tank mouth trying to get the snap ring off without the right tools? I'd look close at the tabs to see if anything looks beat up.

The GMT400 SUV's went to the bucket style a little sooner though I don't have an exact year breakdown of it - maybe it was 1996-up with the swap to Vortec. Key word maybe. If you wanna split technical hairs then keep it friendly and come back with facts. :D

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Whew...

Well how's this for a know-it-all answer?

1988 to mid-1997 GMT400 pickups will have the lock ring style retainer and skeleton-style exposed sender. Later 1997-up pickups will have the large snap ring retainer and what I fondly refer to as the "plastic trash can" pump assembly that is like a big spring-loaded bucket. Those are the ones that can sometimes be a sonofabitch to get seated properly. Personally have not seen one pop loose though after installation. I wonder if someone butchered OP's sending unit/tank mouth trying to get the snap ring off without the right tools? I'd look close at the tabs to see if anything looks beat up.

The GMT400 SUV's went to the bucket style a little sooner though I don't have an exact year breakdown of it - maybe it was 1996-up with the swap to Vortec. Key word maybe. If you wanna split technical hairs then keep it friendly and come back with facts. :D

Richard

I was not trying to be unfriendly, all I did was point out that the OP had a snap ring on his tank and the retired master technician comes back with a condescending attitude.. He started with the smart ass attitude and if he feels he was wronged TFB.

Last edited: