Fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other 2 I will have to pull the receiver hitch to get at. I think I will also pull the rear bumper as I’ve seen a couple videos where guys dent the bed using the tipping method without removing the bumper.
That's interesting, we didn't have to worry about the bumper and factory (I think) hitch on my 88.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's interesting, we didn't have to worry about the bumper and factory (I think) hitch on my 88.

The hitch is for sure blocking the back holes. It’s easy to drop as I’ve done it before. The bumper I plan to try to tilt the bed first. If it’s not in the way I won’t remove it. Another thing is I think the tailpipes might be in the way. I’ll be starting this project later this week.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What fuel pump would be an upgrade from stock? Higher flow for a tuned engine?

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I've never found it that difficult to drop the tank on my stepside. Drain the gas out of the tank with a bulb siphon. Once its lightened, you can hold up one end with your hand while you unbolt and remove the strap, lower that side on a jack stand then move to the other side and repeat. Just have to keep it off the ground while you disconnect everything. I mean, if people are removing and installing the rear bumper for this 'hack' , then an empty gas can is way easier to manage.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I've never found it that difficult to drop the tank on my stepside. Drain the gas out of the tank with a bulb siphon. Once its lightened, you can hold up one end with your hand while you unbolt and remove the strap, lower that side on a jack stand then move to the other side and repeat. Just have to keep it off the ground while you disconnect everything. I mean, if people are removing and installing the rear bumper for this 'hack' , then an empty gas can is way easier to manage.

It’s been around 25 years since I’ve done one, but I have a vivid memory of it being very difficult. Your reply jogged my memory of why I had problems. It was having to disconnect the lines without the tank touching the ground.

The sender arrived today, so I will at least get a good start on it in the morning.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'88 K1500, first time I dropped the tank. Second time, I pulled the bed.

Now that I have all the bolts anti-seized, if I were doing it again, I'd pull the bed. But either way works. I'll need to deal with the fuel pump on the K2500 one of these years. Not sure how I'll do that one. Probably rip the bed off...after blowing a bunch of bolts with oxy-acetelyne like I did with the K1500.

The advantage to dropping the tank is that it's easier to haul into a radiator shop for thorough cleaning. Or just easier to clean it yourself. Cleaning it out on-the-vehicle is tougher. The biggest cause of failed replacement pumps is grit getting past the filter sock on the pump.

No choice but to drop the tank on the Trailblazer, or the Luminas.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'88 K1500, first time I dropped the tank. Second time, I pulled the bed.

Now that I have all the bolts anti-seized, if I were doing it again, I'd pull the bed. But either way works. I'll need to deal with the fuel pump on the K2500 one of these years. Not sure how I'll do that one. Probably rip the bed off...after blowing a bunch of bolts with oxy-acetelyne like I did with the K1500.

The advantage to dropping the tank is that it's easier to haul into a radiator shop for thorough cleaning. Or just easier to clean it yourself. Cleaning it out on-the-vehicle is tougher. The biggest cause of failed replacement pumps is grit getting past the filter sock on the pump.

No choice but to drop the tank on the Trailblazer, or the Luminas.

Yes, it would be nice to clean the tank out. In my case I think the bed is going to come off easy so I’ll try that. If I see a bunch of trash in the tank, I can still pull it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What fuel pump would be an upgrade from stock? Higher flow for a tuned engine?
Depending on what you're doing, are you going from a stock TBI to what pressure/flow? Are you going to run the same injectors? Most folks will go from the EP386 (12PSI,75LPH)TBI to the EP381 (62PSI,155LPH) Vortec. There are others like EP377 (30PSI) from 94-95 7.4L, and EP241 (50.7PSI) from TPI among others. Note: pressures and flow rates vary depending upon who you ask. YMMV

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and within reason, the pressure rating of the pump is academic since the pressure regulator in the TBI controls the pressure, not the pump.

The issue is with aftermarket pumps with huge volume--the return plumbing isn't big enough to handle the volume of return flow, which builds pressure the regulator can't relieve. I don't think any of the OEM pumps can throw that much volume.