Fuel Pump Fiasco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x1000 pull the bed very easy and quick. Thats the same way we did it in the dealership i worked in.

Also did it to my truck 2 yrs ago took 45mins start to finish

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got screwed into an "oem replacement" sending unit... I also have a 97 and when they pulled the part up on the computer at the parts store it gave me one from a nbs... I started at 4pm at work and needed to be out at 6pm... I got the bed off (2 dudes no lift) and found out the part was wrong so I used a shop truck and went to return it and they didnt have a delco one so I had to get a **** one cause I needed the truck.... One of the only products I registered the warranty... cause when it dies 11 months after putting it in they're buying me a delco one and paying me to put it in.

now that my stories over heres my advice... Pulling the bed is the way to go! but the next time I do it Im cutting a hole... GET A DELCO pump/sending unit. to pull the bed
1) undo taillight plugs (no cutting required)
2) open gas cap, undo the 3 hex head bolts not the torx, pull the gas cap off, push the neck through, reach underneath and put the cap back on.
3) crawl underneath and undo the one 10mm attaching the filler neck ground strap to the bed cross member
4) undo the 8 bed bolts 18mm socket (yes 8 bolts to hold a shortbed on... little overkill)
5) pull the bed off, you have to lift it OVER the bumper so wear your weight belt

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got screwed into an "oem replacement" sending unit... I also have a 97 and when they pulled the part up on the computer at the parts store it gave me one from a nbs... I started at 4pm at work and needed to be out at 6pm... I got the bed off (2 dudes no lift) and found out the part was wrong so I used a shop truck and went to return it and they didnt have a delco one so I had to get a **** one cause I needed the truck.... One of the only products I registered the warranty... cause when it dies 11 months after putting it in they're buying me a delco one and paying me to put it in.

now that my stories over heres my advice... Pulling the bed is the way to go! but the next time I do it Im cutting a hole... GET A DELCO pump/sending unit. to pull the bed
1) undo taillight plugs (no cutting required)
2) open gas cap, undo the 3 hex head bolts not the torx, pull the gas cap off, push the neck through, reach underneath and put the cap back on.
3) crawl underneath and undo the one 10mm attaching the filler neck ground strap to the bed cross member
4) undo the 8 bed bolts 18mm socket (yes 8 bolts to hold a shortbed on... little overkill)
5) pull the bed off, you have to lift it OVER the bumper so wear your weight belt

i did not have to lift it over my bumper. mine came with the bed lol i have a roll pan

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn I knew I was doing something wrong when I lifted my bed over my cab, I should have went the other way. HA HA!

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did not have to lift it over my bumper. mine came with the bed lol i have a roll pan

you guys and your fancy roll pans and whatnot... I would like to have one but I drive in stop and go daily and would rather have a bumper wrecked than a bed......

Damn I knew I was doing something wrong when I lifted my bed over my cab, I should have went the other way. HA HA!

you know, I did that too on my 93 and I thought I would try something different this time around

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you know, I did that too on my 93 and I thought I would try something different this time around[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am with you, the other way is just too easy Ha Ha!

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
another vote for removing the bed, its 8 bolts and couple wires, piece of cake if the truck isnt rusted to hell and you have a couple people to pick up the bed and walk it off.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did remove the bed, worked pretty damn good. Got the new pump (AC Delco unit from local Chevrolet dealer. He wanted $156, and I talked him down to $121) installed, but got dark and found out after a little motoring that I also need to replace the fuel filter. I'll do that tomorrow though.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got her fixed. What kind of pump did you end up haveing?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old version. I just had to buy the pump and filter screen that was it.