Fuel Pump Fiasco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I hate to say it man but i just found that the intergrated style pump was introduced midway through 97..... you got a 50-50 shot man.

Edit: also found that the disconnect tools do not like to fit in the space needed and the intergrated pupms use a snap ring instead of the older spin ring or what ever it is called.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it man but i just found that the intergrated style pump was introduced midway through 97..... you got a 50-50 shot man.

Edit: also found that the disconnect tools do not like to fit in the space needed and the intergrated pupms use a snap ring instead of the older spin ring or what ever it is called.

This could be the make or break, because I believe my truck's build date is IIRC in june.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Talk about cutting it close. You just might have my kind of bad luck

I hope you get lucky and get the easy one

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
do you have a box liner of some sort? in my F150, i just cut a hole in the box, and replaced the pump, 10000000x easier.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the easy way to deal with the fill neck is to unscrew the whole cone from the top and pull the entire thing out with the tank. And like the above post get as much of the gas out as possible even half a tank will make this job much harder. When I removed my brand new one out of my totaled truck I cut through the bed to save time but you have to cut a huge whole to allow for all the steel lines and on the RGSB you have to cut right up to the mounting rail and it is a very tight fit. Also check on my 93 their is 2 diff filters a large and a small dont know if this changed on yours?????

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i replaced the fuel pump in my 95 swb. me and my dad took the bed off. it was much easer. (my truck is lowered) i think it would be much easer to just take the bed off than dropping the tank. we only had a small air compressor with air wrench .
if you have friends to help you with removing the bed it would be real easy. you dont even have to take it all the way off just move it back a couple feet and prop it up with some 2x4s

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i replaced the fuel pump in my 95 swb. me and my dad took the bed off. it was much easer. (my truck is lowered) i think it would be much easer to just take the bed off than dropping the tank. we only had a small air compressor with air wrench .
if you have friends to help you with removing the bed it would be real easy. you dont even have to take it all the way off just move it back a couple feet and prop it up with some 2x4s

x2 on removing the bed. Super easy that way and takes about 20 mins if that. If you have a motor lift tie rope or hook chain to the tie hooks mounted in the bed and pull your bed off with the motor lift easy as can be, then all your lines and the top of the tank is right there.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2 on removing the bed. Super easy that way and takes about 20 mins if that. If you have a motor lift tie rope or hook chain to the tie hooks mounted in the bed and pull your bed off with the motor lift easy as can be, then all your lines and the top of the tank is right there.

me and my dad did it ourself. no motor lift not chain hoist or nothing. just two guys on each side of the fender lips

Reaction score
Depending upon how old your fuel pump is, you may also have to do a little wire splicing, as most of the replacement pumps you can get now have a revised plug that you'll need to wire up. If you do have to do this, do NOT do what the shop that replaced my Tahoe's fuel pump did (previous owner had it done, I had to drop the half-full tank to fix it after I bought it) and just use un-insulated butt-splices pinched un-protected between the frame and fuel tank. Good 'ol land-o-rust Minnesota took those connections out quick, fast, and in a hurry. Then again, a few hours work of my time took a HUGE amount of money of the cost of the truck too... ;)

Tom

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man I agree with the pulling the bed method, that is how I change them, I have dropped the tamk before but I orefer to just pull the bed and be done .