Fuel Pump Fiasco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my fuel pump decided that life was no longer worth it and ended it all. That plus the 2-3 week waiting list to get it into a shop here in the town I'm working in makes it so much more necessary to look into doing it myself.

So, for any of you guys that have dropped the tank and put in a new fuel pump yourselves, how hard is it to drop a fuel tank (23g) that's half full? Also is there anything specific I need to do to swap out that fuel pump?

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
It is pretty easy process. i would sugest using plywood or a 2x4 to support the entire length of the tank and try to keep the jack centered. i don't think you will need any special tools ( i never did) but i know that newer 400's (not sure wich year it started I think yours might) have those quick disconect things on them. once tank has been lowered spin out the metal ring and seal and slide the sending unit out, replace with new raise tank and have a beer as you test fire. I actually leave the tank on the ground for the first start up so that if there is a problem i can get to it easy. hope that helps

Edit: forn some reason i am thinking that the sending units that have quick connects on them you can't replace the pump on. It is either the whole thing or nothing. not sure if you know that but just wanted to be sure to give you a heads up

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So my fuel pump decided that life was no longer worth it and ended it all. That plus the 2-3 week waiting list to get it into a shop here in the town I'm working in makes it so much more necessary to look into doing it myself.

So, for any of you guys that have dropped the tank and put in a new fuel pump yourselves, how hard is it to drop a fuel tank (23g) that's half full? Also is there anything specific I need to do to swap out that fuel pump?

The filler neck can be a bee-atch to undo!

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year did those quick connects come out? Cuz I've got a 97

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
The filler neck can be a bee-atch to undo!

I can't believe i forgot about the filler neck. both mine will not come off and the neoprene hose is 22 bucks a foot.

However you can twist it to gain some room but that is still a pain.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Use an AC/Delco pump. Aftermarket, no-name brands, DON'T last! I've seen some trucks with an access door modded into the box to make access to the pump easier. If you want to do this, the time to do it is when you have the tank out.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
What year did those quick connects come out? Cuz I've got a 97

I know it wasn't 95 cause mine does not have them. that leaves 96-98. I will do a bit of digging to find out if i can.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive done many 88-98 and 99-07 the 800 isnt that bad I use a siphon pump that I got from autozone to get as much fuel as I can out of the tank. The lines on top of the tank can be a pain because you need to use line wrenches to disconect them. Once you have most of the fuel out and all the lines and electrical disconected and the straps loose I use a floor jack and a piece of plywood to help lower it