Fuel pump access panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90k1500t

Reaction score
Which fuel line is what in those original pictures? Cause im doing the same but im trying to install a return line instead

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. This is on a 92 ECSB Z71. Be sure to have a fire ext. and some wet towels close by. Check for leaks before u start.

measure 4" from front of bed, any less will cut into cross support.
You must be registered for see images attach

Follow line from fuel door 12" into the bed. Square off a rectangle from these two points at about 8"x14.5"

Drill 3/8" holes at each corner. light pressure so as not to punch thru too hard. Cut with angle grinder or VERY short jig saw. You only have about an inch and a half to the top of the tank. SLOW and steady wins the day.
This size allows for full access to hoses and wires. Smooth out edges of cut with grinder or sander they're razor sharp. Be sure to sand down ground point at frame for good contact.

Cut 1/16" plate steel 2" oversize in this case it was 10"x17". drill screw holes, sand edges, paint, and screw.

Whole operation took about an hour. Time for fuel sender swap took 10 min including smoke break. Hope this helps. Thanks.

I have a 94 SWB Regular Cab with the stepside bed. Would it be possible to do this so I don't have to pull the bed everytime?

MTipton76

Reaction score
Hey all. This is on a 92 ECSB Z71. Be sure to have a fire ext. and some wet towels close by. Check for leaks before u start.

measure 4" from front of bed, any less will cut into cross support.

Follow line from fuel door 12" into the bed. Square off a rectangle from these two points at about 8"x14.5"

Drill 3/8" holes at each corner. light pressure so as not to punch thru too hard. Cut with angle grinder or VERY short jig saw. You only have about an inch and a half to the top of the tank. SLOW and steady wins the day.
This size allows for full access to hoses and wires. Smooth out edges of cut with grinder or sander they're razor sharp. Be sure to sand down ground point at frame for good contact.

Cut 1/16" plate steel 2" oversize in this case it was 10"x17". drill screw holes, sand edges, paint, and screw.

Whole operation took about an hour. Time for fuel sender swap took 10 min including smoke break. Hope this helps. Thanks.
Do you if it’s the same dimensions on a step side?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know some of y'all think you're gonna keep the truck til you drive the wheels off it, but I can say each time I see a GMT400 on craigslist/fb with a hole cut in the bed, I back out of that ad and look at the next one. :D The hole says to me, "What else did they cut corners on?" and I say to myself, "Everything...they cut corners on everything."

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I know some of y'all think you're gonna keep the truck til you drive the wheels off it.

Richard

Most of the people posting in this thread that have done 'The Bed Hole Mod' are no longer contributing members & have not been for y-e-a-r-s!
Hmmm...
I'd give odds that none of them even own a 400 any more!

Reaction score
I just have to say, this thread legit has been one of the best thing I’ve come across. About 3.5 years ago I did a bed off restoration of my rear. I bought a new bed and when I put it on I made this access panel.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just have to say, this thread legit has been one of the best thing I’ve come across. About 3.5 years ago I did a bed off restoration of my rear. I bought a new bed and when I put it on I made this access panel.

When I find a rust free bed to put on mine, I also plan to make the access hole at that time.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I've already pulled my bed off twice to get to the fuel pump. I think this next time Imma just do this. Make it look nice of course. It's covered up by my toolbox anyways

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk