Freshing up a 2000 k2500 7.4l thats been sitting 2 years, water pump questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I decided my 70k miles 1999 k2500 5.7l 4.10 auto did not have enough towing grunt so i parted it out to keep the yummies and make some cash on the other parts.

Now I have purchased a 2000 k2500 auto 7.4l that has not been turned over for two years. The guy says he was going to keep it for a swap to a k1500 but decided its too much work, says he preserved the gas and parked it. Also had a gas line leak. The truck has 175k on the clock and he says it ran/shifted good. truck will need brake/fuel/other lines and some frame reinforcement in the rear, and some reassembly from when he started taking the front end apart.

Engine ignition freshening will include cap/rotor/wires/plugs. I bought a new belt and will change the tensioner and idler pullies. since the belt is off I will change out the water pump and here is my question.
High volume vs a standard Ac Delco or Gates pump? i will be towing 2 to 3000 pumps alot, with up to 10000 pounds of truck, boat or materials about two to three times a week.
I have never had any overheating problems running heavy loads with my dump truck, pickup and explorer. I live in a hilly area and have only had my motor peg the 190 to 200 range and hold it, i usually hold a lower gear to keep up the rpm for torque, transmission and higher coolant flow. This is my first big block and am unsure if it will create more heat when i am towing or do i just trust all the factory decisions to keep the truck cool. Also the truck has the factory towing prep package.

I will need to pull the bed to fix the fuel leak so it will be a convenient time to fix the frame and rear brake lines maybe change the springs to 1995 k3500, although they look identical to the current K2500. So while the bed is off i will preserve the frame with some derusting and paint and figure to replace the fuel pump/sender, clean the tank and change the fuel filter.

Also with the bed and springs/ brake lines off i will swap out the 3.73 rear for the 4.10 one i pulled from my 99 and eventually early fall will change the front diff and do any suspension parts.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Looks like a serious project. But you have a good plan and that's better than just jumping off into it. Keep us posted with updates, but it sounds like you have a good tow rig in the making.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a serious project. But you have a good plan and that's better than just jumping off into it. Keep us posted with updates, but it sounds like you have a good tow rig in the making.
Its the big block it has, the spare parts i have (same blue color too), clean split bench cloth interior and the $375 price plus $150 tow that sealed the deal. Will be updating with the first pics when it gets here this week. Its resting in a field now, lol.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are these sardine can size square dual mufflers exiting under the truck going to be loud? Anybody familiar with this style muffler? Maybe a crossover pipe just before the mufflers might free up some power and doing some rear or side exit tailpipes might help.

You must be registered for see images attach