Frame Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waldo

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I have obtained a manual transmission 96 gmc k1500 stepside 4x4 that is in desperate need of a new frame. I am a newbie when it comes to repairing, let alone rebuilding vehicles, so I am still learning. I need some advice on the steps I'd go about to go from a fully built truck in one bay of a garage and a rolling frame in the other, to them swapping places. I hadn't realized the frame needed to be replaced until after I removed the transmission to change the slave clutch cylinder, so the transmission, transfer case, and all else attached has been removed from the vehicle already. Time is of the essence, so being able to do the swap as efficiently as possible is ideal. Beside the basic steps, I also need a few specific questions answered:
1. When the cab is finally detached, what would the best way to lift it from the frame be?
2. Would it be worth it to paint the new frame with rustoleum? (it is from Tennessee and rust free currently)
3. How heavy is the fiberglass bed and how many people would i need to lift it?
If any answers or advice can be offered, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
First of all you are in for a big job, normally this is done by experienced people with heavy equipment and/or vehicle lifts. Not saying it cant be done with lighter duty equipment but it will make everything more difficult and frustrating.

#1 see my answer above.
#2 YES!!! do all the prep work you can possibly do now to the good frame! Remove as much rust as you can, prime it, paint it and underbody coat it if you can. People with the right equipment would take this time to fully box the frame for strength as well. Then run all new brake lines, fuel lines, re-do anything on the frame now. Even suspension components, now is the easiest work you will ever have on those frame mounted components.
#3 The bed is still steel and heavy. Again, this is something that should be done by somebody who at the very least has a tractor with a hydraulic loader to do the heavy lifting. Or an overhead crane, you could get creative with 4"x4" or thicker lumber to make a jib crane for the cab and box.

Waldo

Reaction score
Does any one know a basic step by step to the swap? I know i need to remove the bed, cab, engine and all that but is there a good order?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never done it, but I've seen guys here do full disassembly of these trucks. I'd say:

1. bed & rear bumper (can be done with an engine hoist, just a handful of bolts, filler neck and connectors)...start easy.
2. hood (need 2 guys ideally)
3. fenders, front bumper, clip, etc. (will take time, tedious)
4. Engine and transmission (again, hoist and a helper)
5. cab (you will have to get ingenious on lifting, cribbing and rolling the frame under.)

Hopefully you have a hard surface to roll the hoist. If not, a few sheets of 3/4" plywood will do. Since you are in the rustbelt, I would take the extra time and paint everything while you are at it. A gantry crane on wheels would be really nice to have for this, but any other large frame. Can you weld? I've even seen guys make gantry cranes out of lumber! With time, some cash and determination, anything is possible. For estimating purpose, triple the time you think it will take you, LOL.

Good luck.

Waldo

Reaction score
I have removed the bumper and tailgate and will be attempting to lift the bed off with 5 other guys. Sizing i it up by myself i could start to lift a corner so it shouldn't be an issue. i will move onto taking off the hood later when i have the time. Thank you all for the advice!

p.s. to answer questions
I have not welded but my dad can and have the proper equiptment. The truck is currently in a concreted garage so rolling should be fine. I'm debating getting the frame to be removed by two forlifts that a buddy has then rolling the new frame under.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can lift the entire front clip off with the hood still attached.

The 2 forklift method might work for the cab IF and that's a big IF, both operators are extremely adept at the soft touch and have excellent control of the machines. The slightest difference in lift/lower speed will send the cab sliding sideways.

An actual lift.. 2 post.. is what many use for cab swaps. A completely stripped regular cab is fairly easy to do with an engine hoist. Done it myself.

Richard

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would pull the fenders, hood, front bumper. I did the cab by myself with a floor jack, engine hoist, and some country boy ingenuity. The bed can be done with a few of your larger buddies. It's a time consuming process, but when you're done, you will know and understand so much more of your truck. I say go for it!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach