1973 C30 cab on GMT455 frame swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotcorner216

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I picked up a Mitchell and Sons 1973 C30 Class C RV a few years ago with intentions of fixing it up as it was. Long story short the box was completely shot with termite damaged throughout the box frame since it was all wood.

I've slowly been searching for another RV or box truck to swap the box onto the frame and came across what I thought was just a 91 C3500 city truck that had a box that's mostly aluminum besides the bottom cross supports and rear box framing which is steel. I was considering swapping the box onto the C30 frame but after doing some research, I have a GMT 455 which I didnt even know what it was till doing further research.

After learning how beefy it is compared to the old C30 frame which was modified by Mitchell and sons by extending the rear with 4.5 feet of angled steel and no cross supports, the GMT 455 frame seems like a not brainer to keep and use for the frame and I won't have to move the box. It also only has 80k miles and runs pretty damn good considering the city serviced it on time and all the records for service and repairs were in the truck since new. My truck has the rockwell rear end (open i believe, but I'd like to do a locker once I've made it campable)

I'd love to do a 4x4 conversion eventually also but that won't be for awhile.

I wanted to know if anyone has done a squarebody cab on a GMT frame or if they can point me in the direction or pointersM I know the GMT455 frame is different from the more common GMT400 but any pointers would be great before I take the plunge.

I'm planning on keeping the driveline stock for now and using the OBS engine bay harness, computer, etc and using as much of the squarebody interior, dash, wiring, etc I can.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240307_171249.jpg
    20240307_171249.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 5