Ext Cab to Crew Conversion Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
if I was in your shoes this is what I would do if the K-3500 is good and dose not look like it belongs in the junk/scrap yard I would cut both frame just after the t-bar cross member and then weld and bolt one frame back together

I have to ask though you want a crew cab truck in that 97 K-3500 why swap the cab on to a 1500 that is a huge down grade imho 1500s have $#!+ brakes and you will not be able to tow/haul as much as the 3500 can and a note for any one that has plans to cut a frame I am all most 100% that from the front bumper mounting spots on the frame to the back of the t-bar cross member regardless of wheel base is the same length

if you are wanting a short bed because that is the reason I could see some one doing as much as I am against butchering long beds into short beds that would be a option or you can on the hunt for a 99-00 gmt400 crew cab short bed they are pretty rare though from my understanding good luck with what ever you decide to do I have grafted one of these frame once cut the front have out of a 92 K-2500 suburban and cut off the front half of a 94 C-2500 extended cab long bed grafted the the front half of the K2500 suburban frame on the the rear half of the C2500 frame

1996greanbean

Reaction score
if I was in your shoes this is what I would do if the K-3500 is good and dose not look like it belongs in the junk/scrap yard I would cut both frame just after the t-bar cross member and then weld and bolt one frame back together

I have to ask though you want a crew cab truck in that 97 K-3500 why swap the cab on to a 1500 that is a huge down grade imho 1500s have $#!+ brakes and you will not be able to tow/haul as much as the 3500 can and a note for any one that has plans to cut a frame I am all most 100% that from the front bumper mounting spots on the frame to the back of the t-bar cross member regardless of wheel base is the same length

if you are wanting a short bed because that is the reason I could see some one doing as much as I am against butchering long beds into short beds that would be a option or you can on the hunt for a 99-00 gmt400 crew cab short bed they are pretty rare though from my understanding good luck with what ever you decide to do I have grafted one of these frame once cut the front have out of a 92 K-2500 suburban and cut off the front half of a 94 C-2500 extended cab long bed grafted the the front half of the K2500 suburban frame on the the rear half of the C2500 frame
Well thing is I only bought the cab, I don’t have an entire doner truck. Plus it was a 6.5 and I have a personal grudge against all Detroit motors. Also have an 06 duramax that takes care of all my local hauling needs. Mainly just want a crew cab short bed 4x4 obs. And I already have money in wheels and tires plus the lift. If I were to swap to a 2500 or 3500 frame I couldn’t re use my lift or wheels. Plus my trans is a 4l60e and I would have to get converted ujoints to run the bigger rear end. Also if I stitched the frames I would have to deal with the 1500 frame being overall smaller than the 2500 back end. I think it’s much easier to just weld additional length from another 1500 frame and reuse all the parts I already have (totes full at the moment). Also have a cnc plasma table so fabbing up mounts and crossmembers should be fairly simple. Plus let’s be honest how many obs crew cab z71 short bed 1500s do you see on the road? I haven’t seen any in my half of the state at least so I think it’ll be fun challenge with something that’ll be truly custom.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well thing is I only bought the cab, I don’t have an entire doner truck. Plus it was a 6.5 and I have a personal grudge against all Detroit motors. Also have an 06 duramax that takes care of all my local hauling needs. Mainly just want a crew cab short bed 4x4 obs. And I already have money in wheels and tires plus the lift. If I were to swap to a 2500 or 3500 frame I couldn’t re use my lift or wheels. Plus my trans is a 4l60e and I would have to get converted ujoints to run the bigger rear end. Also if I stitched the frames I would have to deal with the 1500 frame being overall smaller than the 2500 back end. I think it’s much easier to just weld additional length from another 1500 frame and reuse all the parts I already have (totes full at the moment). Also have a cnc plasma table so fabbing up mounts and crossmembers should be fairly simple. Plus let’s be honest how many obs crew cab z71 short bed 1500s do you see on the road? I haven’t seen any in my half of the state at least so I think it’ll be fun challenge with something that’ll be truly custom.
Seen an 96 ccsb z71 years ago. Missed owning it by 15 minutes lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way is to purchase a junkyard frame with desired wheelbase.

6.5 harness inside the cab is gonna be different. You can make a jumper harness to get it working, but you'll never have cruise control.