gmt400 ccsb body on gmt800 frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddyk

Reaction score
hey yall, i’ve got a 2000 k2500 ccsb and i’ve been trying to figure out all that i’ve gotta do to swap it onto a gmt800 frame. i’m looking to do the swap that way i can get the duramax and allison. i plan on just using the 0411 ecm from the donor truck. is their anything i should know before jumping into the project?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the duramax and allison into the 2000 truck?
I'm coming from the standpoint of having put 5.9 cummins into these things, and it really isn't that difficult.
I'd sure love to see the body/frame swap happen, but that seems like a huge undertaking just to gain a duramax and allison.

Eddyk

Reaction score
I'm coming from the standpoint of having put 5.9 cummins into these things, and it really isn't that difficult.
I'd sure love to see the body/frame swap happen, but that seems like a huge undertaking just to gain a duramax and allison.
the nbs swap would also give me more options for lifts and rear calipers aswell

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If ur looking for a lift I have brand new lift, was gonna run it but SAS’n it instead. Shipping might suck tho. But IMO I think it be easier to swap drive train than the entire frame. A lot of lil crap that don’t think about always comes out.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This.
the nbs swap would also give me more options for lifts and rear calipers aswell

Swapping a drivetrain is way easier than swapping a body.
You're choosing the most difficult route to get a Duramax and Allison. The easiest is to buy an NBS. Next is a drivetrain swap. Last is what you're proposing.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you add in all the little bits of nonsense with engines, and systems nowadays, its not too far off from all the work of a body swap, depending on how much you want to keep. Also GM stepped things up with the NBS frames. There is a lot more torsional rigidity built into them. They're boxed where the cab and bed meet, the rear section is as tall as the rest of the frame, doesn't narrow down to almost the size of a 2x4 under the bed. It crossed my mind to do the swap, but I didnt have everything laying around that I needed.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh good lord, what a project. I'm swapping the rear end and brake system out of a 800 dually to go under my 400 dually now. Sold the duramax and alison and the rest of the carcass. I can't even imagine trying to body swap the 400 onto the 800 frame, although my donor 800 had such a rusty frame, it wasn't even a possibility to ponder on.

But it sure would be fun to watch a build thread on it though!! Go Eddyk Go!!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you add in all the little bits of nonsense with engines, and systems nowadays, its not too far off from all the work of a body swap, depending on how much you want to keep.
Nah. A motor and trans is relatively simple compared to a body. For a start they'll fit in this instance with very little modification. I think the trans tunnel is all he'll need to fix. Everything will need to be touched for a body swap.
Also GM stepped things up with the NBS frames. There is a lot more torsional rigidity built into them. They're boxed where the cab and bed meet, the rear section is as tall as the rest of the frame, doesn't narrow down to almost the size of a 2x4 under the bed.
Agreed the 800 frames are improved.