k2500 Suburban on 1 ton Duramax frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all, please offer guidance if this isn't the right place to post this thread. I don't know if there even really is a "right" place. (bear with my scattered thoughts..I'm still not sure what I even want out of this build)

I have a '99 K2500 Suburban with a lot of custom paintwork on it. That, plus the fact that GMT400's are the last generation of GM's that I don't consider to be "throwaway" trucks (at least by body style) means I want to put money into it, rather than buy something new (or maybe that too)

The frame could use a good refresh. Nothing scary on it, just not as pretty as I'd like. The engine has about 160k on it now, although it still pulls strong (L29). I've looked into doing a build, and the possibilities are acceptable.

However, I've also had a bug for about a year now to buy a wrecked GMT800 1 ton Duramax, and swap the body over (or even a newer generation, but YIKES that's a lot of electronics to get to work right!). I know it's a lot of work, but what I have in mind is a lot of work no matter what. So meh, unless we're talking borderline impossible. The body is coming off the frame, and the frame is getting stripped and completely redone no matter what.

Money is less of a concern, although I want to keep costs as low as possible. We have four kids, and pull a large travel trailer pretty often (which means we need the seats). I'd love to have a Duramax/Allison combination with an even heavier frame/axles/brakes/etc. for when we buy an even bigger trailer. In short, if I spend less than $30k I think I'm still winning.

Please share your thoughts, poke holes in my plans, whatever you want.

A *few* of the biggest challenges I've thought of are:

- Rewelding the frame to the correct length, straightening the "kick" out of it (where the frame raises to go under the bed) to work under an SUV body

- Making all the ECU goodies play nicely with the dash

- Fabbing mounts for the body to the frame

For a heavy tow rig, what would you do? No matter how much power a BB puts out, the frame, axles and brakes are only rated to 10,000lbs, vs nearly 17,000lbs in some configurations for a 1 ton Duramax.

Please help me strike a balance between insane and possible.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Not worth the hassle. If you really want to swap in a newer frame, find a K2500/K3500(01-14) Suburban to do the swap to. It won't have the diesel, but it could have a 6.0L or 8.1L depending.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take the body off, sand blast the frame, paint it, install a Duramax, reinstall body. Alot easier than trying to fab 2 different gens of trucks together.