Frame Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Did a bed and frame swap on a 88 C3500, I provided the shop and tools. I learned that The more people the better, lifting a dually bed with 2.5 people was tough. Also if you have a shop manual or Haynes manual it’ll help out a lot, Haynes does good with making things go a little smoother. Shop manual is perfect but they are $$$$$$ (eBay has one going up for 100+ pre shipping!).

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy all,
I have obtained a manual transmission 96 gmc k1500 stepside 4x4 that is in desperate need of a new frame. I am a newbie when it comes to repairing, let alone rebuilding vehicles, so I am still learning. I need some advice on the steps I'd go about to go from a fully built truck in one bay of a garage and a rolling frame in the other, to them swapping places. I hadn't realized the frame needed to be replaced until after I removed the transmission to change the slave clutch cylinder, so the transmission, transfer case, and all else attached has been removed from the vehicle already. Time is of the essence, so being able to do the swap as efficiently as possible is ideal. Beside the basic steps, I also need a few specific questions answered:
1. When the cab is finally detached, what would the best way to lift it from the frame be?
2. Would it be worth it to paint the new frame with rustoleum? (it is from Tennessee and rust free currently)
3. How heavy is the fiberglass bed and how many people would i need to lift it?
If any answers or advice can be offered, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Where in Ohio are you ?

Waldo

Reaction score
Im in north eastern Ohio between Cleveland and Akron in a town called Richfield. I have actually been able to obtain a set of GM official shop manuals for the truck, which are amazing, but it is at times hard to find exactly what you want.

Reaction score
When I removed my stepside bed, I made a wooden dolly w casters so I could move it around easily. Using a hoist I removed the bed by myself, strapped it to the dolly and rolled it out of the garage. Removing the cab could be done in similar fashion.
How much did you pay for a rust free rolling southern frame and did you trailer it back to Ohio?

Attachments

• 0822201700_HDR.jpg
    0822201700_HDR.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 0822201710.jpg
    0822201710.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 27

Ta6point6

Reaction score
When I removed my stepside bed, I made a wooden dolly w casters so I could move it around easily. Using a hoist I removed the bed by myself, strapped it to the dolly and rolled it out of the garage. Removing the cab could be done in similar fashion.
How much did you pay for a rust free rolling southern frame and did you trailer it back to Ohio?
No kidding. Trying to find a rust free frame that’s not all tweaked and hacked up here in the north is getting tough.

Waldo

Reaction score
I had relative who lives in Tennessee who wanted the cab, bed, and other components for another project and did not need the rolling frame. I think it was around $500 since we were family. I still need to trailer it back to Ohio, but it shouldn't be an issue.

I dont really know how good the suspension and all that will be, but I know the actual frame is in great condition.

Waldo

Reaction score
Here is an update of where its at:

The bed was removed by me and 3 other dudes (it was not that heavy) and placed up against a far wall. I've worked to get off the several off the parts in the engine bay, trying to label all the bolts diligently for when i re assemble. Its a slow process, but im piecing a little every day.

You must be registered for see images attach

Waldo

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I think its about time I give another update. A lot has happened in the past couple months between juggling life and working on the truck. I got the frame from Tennessee and had a buddy paint it black with rustoleum. I also lifted the cab off the old one with a little muscle and a couple of 2x6's on jack stands (felt real sketchy but there has been worse done). Threw the engine and repaired transmission in and a couple plugs later she fired right up like it was right off the assembly line. The engine sounds real good and im very proud of how far I've come. probably within the next month or so itll be road worthy. Thank you all for tuning in this far.

I had few questions in the mean time:

1. What kind of transmission and how much will i need for the nv3500 and transfer case?

2. is there any technique for bleeding the clutch line between the master and slave cylander?

3. What kind of coolant should i use and how much?

4. do i (and how) bleed the power steering lines?

5. how important is the gasket between the transfer case and the transmission?

6. The drivers rear cab bolt doesnt seem long enough to fit into the hole, should i just buy a longer one?

Cheers.