Finally identified mystery part!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The previous owner of my 2000 C3500 left behind a plastic part that's been rattling around in the glovebox ever since I got the truck. I finally decided to take a closer look at it and found a Part Number on it: 12160765. A Google Search identified it as being a Bus Stud Assembly Cover. It clips onto the side of the Fuse - Relay Center Cover, Part # 12162365. It's obviously not a critical part, but I put it back where it belongs anyway. In pre-Google days, I'd probably have either tossed it, or brought it to a Chevy dealer to see if the Parts Department could figure it out. Now I'm wondering why the previous owner took it off in the first place, then didn't put it back.

You must be registered for see images attach

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's # 23 in this picture. It covers where the Positive battery cable and other cables connect to the Fuse - Relay Box.

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The PO may have had something connected to the electrical connectors under this part, and it would not fit over the connector any more. Then when selling the truck, they removed what ever they added. Being lazy, they just threw the cover in the glove box. Just my best guess.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The PO may have had something connected to the electrical connectors under this part, and it would not fit over the connector any more. Then when selling the truck, they removed what ever they added. Being lazy, they just threw the cover in the glove box. Just my best guess.

Makes sense to me! I replaced the battery cable a few years ago because the terminal end had corroded badly. When I saw where the other end of the cable connected to the Fuse - Relay Center, I remember thinking that it would be a handy place to run an amplifier lead to if I ever get around to upgrading the stereo. I never knew until today that there was supposed to be a cover there! I actually kept the old battery cable for the express purpose of repurposing it as an amplifier hot lead, figuring it would work well since it's already got the proper ring terminal on one end. All I have to do is cut off the battery terminal end and add an inline fuse.