Factory 5 Spoke Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever cut the small spokes out of the five spoke wheels? Would it make them too weak? I've seen aftermarket wheels with a lot less meat in the spokes then the factory wheels would have with the small spokes removed.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming your referring to these? I've always wondered that. I'm also leaning towards yes it will weaken the integrity

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
paint them low gloss or flat black it wil help them disappear
I think the wheel would be compromised, its weight bearing integrity and overall strength. These wheels came out for the '92 Burbs because the original N90 5 spoke wheels wouldn't handle the extra weight of the suburbans.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the wheel would be compromised, its weight bearing integrity and overall strength. These wheels came out for the '92 Burbs because the original N90 5 spoke wheels wouldn't handle the extra weight of the suburbans.
Were those the wheels that were breaking and causing the Burbs to roll over in high side load conditions?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Possibly..... I just remember that the wheels changed when the new series Burbs came out. Dad wanted to run the old style 5 spoke N90 on our '84 Burb, but it wasn't rated for the load we were hauling in it to swap meets. So we ran the aluminum wheels on the front and steel truck Rallyes on the rear.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I don't think that factory wheels with the small spokes cut out could be any weaker than these.