Fuel tank strap issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alreadyded

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Working on replacing the fuel lines on our 96 c1500.

For whatever reason I cannot get the rear tank strap bolt to release, just keeps turning. I’ve tried prying the strap down to force the threads out while turning it out and still no luck. It’s awkward as hell right above the driveshaft. Any tricks I’m missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Working on replacing the fuel lines on our 96 c1500.

For whatever reason I cannot get the rear tank strap bolt to release, just keeps turning. I’ve tried prying the strap down to force the threads out while turning it out and still no luck. It’s awkward as hell right above the driveshaft. Any tricks I’m missing?

Any help would be appreciated.
Can’t with that, but maybe consider removing bed, replace lines and pump/hanger all at once. Removing the bed is so easy. Or slide bed to side.

Last edited:

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check for a nut on top? If someone else has pulled the strap down and stripped the threads they may have put a bolt with a nut in.

alreadyded

Reaction score
Did you check for a nut on top? If someone else has pulled the strap down and stripped the threads they may have put a bolt with a nut in.
I’ll have to look for this, thanks!
Cut it off, drill the hole out, re-tap, use a new bolt to replace it.
I fear this is what I’m going to have to do.
Can’t with that, but maybe consider removing bed, replace lines and pump/hanger all at once. Removing the bed is so easy. Or slide bed to side.
I saw a few threads mentioning this, I just don’t have any method of lifting that thing. Not even a tree in my yard to Jerry-rig something lol.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be that the nut broke free from the clip that slides into the crossmember. You can get the bolts and nuts as a kit from Dorman, so if you have to cut it, try to just cut the bolt. Also be careful you are right next to the gas tank. The best thing to do is move the bed out of the way.

You must be registered for see images attach

alreadyded

Reaction score
It could be that the nut broke free from the clip that slides into the crossmember. You can get the bolts and nuts as a kit from Dorman, so if you have to cut it, try to just cut the bolt. Also be careful you are right next to the gas tank. The best thing to do is move the bed out of the way.

Thanks for this! I wondered what the hell might have happened up in there. I’ll have to get one of these kits. Nervous thinking about cutting metal right there.

alreadyded

Reaction score
So, I cut those bit*** off. The bolt on the support piece off the frame was completely gone.I had the remove the support holding the front strap. The support doesn't look great at all. Is there anywhere to get a new one or do I have to make this work? I've tried looking but maybe I'm using the wrong name.