98 c1500 5.7l Vortec - No spark issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So some history -
The old heads cracked.
Got new heads.
Started up, was rough because I didn’t adjust valves.
Took it to a closer place to where I live - Did a final valve adjustment - Sounded great, was running good, just needed to adjust fuel/air mix.

I turned truck off, let it set, started truck up again an hour later. Was sounding really good, valves weren’t backing off or getting loose.
I put the valve covers back on all happy.

Everything went to hell.

Attempted to start truck after covers were placed.
Somehow the ground to the front of the engine block snapped off so truck did nothing.
Fixed the ground when I found out it had broke.
Tried to start truck - Made really bad clunking from back of engine, replaced the starter - no change, bad clunk - (the teeth of the old starter were worn as can be) - checked the flywheel - was missing a tooth, so I replaced the flywheel.

Started truck
No more bad clunking, but still no run.

Checked spark - getting no spark - engine is turning over though, just no spark.

It has a new distributor cap, new rotor, new starter and solenoid, new spark plugs and wires, new crankshaft position sensor,

I did get some codes on my scanner - I’ll post those rn.
P0336 & P0339
Power train - 2 faults
Passlock - 1 fault
Electronic variable orifice - 1 fault

I have yet to check my fuses, I will do that after work - I’m hoping it’s just a fuse burnt out, not my timing chain…

Any other direction would be awesome and appreciated!!!
I’ll update when I check fuses after work today.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the passlock would kill the fuel, not the spark, but it's an issue that will need addressed.

P0336/P0339 are your crank sensor. Is in place in the bottom of the timing cover, sitting straight? Pull it out anyways and check to ensure there's no metal fuzz gunking up the magnet. The wire to it runs alongside that ground that broke. Is the crank sensor wiring intact?

Reaction score
As I understand it, the passlock would kill the fuel, not the spark, but it's an issue that will need addressed.

P0336/P0339 are your crank sensor. Is in place in the bottom of the timing cover, sitting straight? Pull it out anyways and check to ensure there's no metal fuzz gunking up the magnet. The wire to it runs alongside that ground that broke. Is the crank sensor wiring intact?
So I have had issues with my crankshaft position sensor before, so I replaced it -
And then about 6 months later I had to replace it again, because the wiring got destroyed (due to where I drive my truck to get to work, lots of mud buildup and stuff) - so I redid the plug and wires completely and put a new sensor at the same time.

The wiring still looks good, all the connections are solid - But I will check the sensor and get back to ya, it’s possible I’ll need to replace it due to a ground breaking off, could have shorted it out or so right?

Also - all my fuses were good as far as they looked