EVO power steering assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone done away with there EVO power steering assist on the 97, 98 ??? What does it take to get rid of the EVO. Is it worth it? When I had my 93, I never found it hard to steer at low speeds, or any speed. I thought about just doing a pump swap. Has anyone done this?

Tom M

Reaction score
Kenny....Why not just replace the steering assist module..it's easy..

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I've been looking into this as well for my 98. The best way I have found is to bypass it right at the pump. You can buy a kit through GM, but its cheaper to go to a junkyard and pull a pre EVO line/fitting coming out of the pump. The only thing is you have to remove the pump on your truck to remove the old solenoid.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep bail on that mess through any of the ways mentioned. It's not hard to steer these trucks pre-EVO at low speeds, it was a solution to a non-existent problem. Maybe soccer moms didn't like parallel parking a Suburban or something; who knows.

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I just unplugged mine from the steering column.
Only problem with unplugging it is that it goes into full boost mode all the time, which stops the intermittent boost issue, but i've read that can prematurely blow out the solenoid.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only problem with unplugging it is that it goes into full boost mode all the time, which stops the intermittent boost issue, but i've read that can prematurely blow out the solenoid.

Not to mention driving around in full boost makes the truck feel super squirrelly. Not good. Unplugging the sensor for diagnostic purposes is fine but I certainly don't recommend driving like that.